Restaurant Paul Bocuse and the Guide Michelin

Dear Sirs,

While it is a nice sentiment for you to keep giving three stars to Restaurant Paul Bocuse for his contribution to French and international gastronomy, it is unfair to the people who spend hundreds of euros to dine there because you continue each year to bestow this empty honor.
I will make it very simple through this revelatory microcosm: Have your Rhone-Alpes inspector order the Fernand Point dish "gratin des queues ecrivisses" that is on the Bocuse menu and then drive two hours or so to Talloires to have essentially the same dish Chez Bise. After this, I would hope you would do what is fair to the people who you encourage to waste their hard-earned money in Collonges, which, is to give that restaurant the diminished number of stars it truly deserves.
All the best,
Robert Brown
  • Like 3

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted.

that's a profound statement, mongo. may apply to many wine purchases, as well.

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted.

that's a profound statement, mongo. may apply to many wine purchases, as well.

Yeah. That's why I stole if for my signature. (At least until someone else says something I like better.)

That's good to hear. Last time we were there was in the late 90s, and it was not a good time for the restaurant - in fact based on that visit I thought that this too was a place that Michelin is keeping on its book for historical reasons. Maybe one day Bocuse will be worth revisiting too.

Sophie Bise is not so good when left to her own devices, but if you order the four or so dishes from the Golden Age, you should be very happy at one of the best-situated restaurants in the world. Because I was on the lake for a decent period, I got the kitchen to make me more of the historic dishes from there. The chef-de-cuisine knows his stuff.