Sign in to follow this  
prasantrin

Winter 2014-2015

After a brief warm spell, it's turned cold in this part of the world.

-9C, windchill -17C. I'd better get winter tires on my car soon, and get the extension cord for the block heater out.

• Like 27

You get any of that snow yet? Or did it all get dumped on mongo? We're promised the unseasonable cold and maybe the snow later in the week. Today it's gorgeous and 64ºF.

• Like 1

"Winter" hit while I was away. We left with highs in the 70s and came home to mid 60s. I mostly dislike winter because it's dark by 5:30.

We started getting snow Saturday night with a bit of a reprieve yesterday, but it's been blowing snow most of today. Not a lot of it, but enough to cover the ground. I have to get the snow brush/scraper out in the mornings. Hopefully it will warm up a bit as the forecast has predicted. It's currently -4C with a -10C windchill.

That's so foreign to me, it's crazy. How long does that kind of weather (or colder of course) last?

This is unseasonably cold, maybe about 5-10C colder than usual for this time of year. But it'll get colder, and if the farmer's almanac is correct (it has been the last few years), it'll be just as cold and snowy this year as it was last year, which means very cold and very snowy. It'll be like that till April, then we'll start hitting 0C (32F) temperatures. That's when people start wearing shorts and no jackets because they feel warm and yes, it's comparatively warm.

I would love to live in the SF area with milder temperatures all year round. If not for the earthquakes and the high cost of living, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

(If you really can't imagine it, think North Dakota but with more snow and colder temperatures)

I would love to live in the SF area with milder temperatures all year round. If not for the earthquakes and the high cost of living, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Our winters are not nearly has harsh as that, and I still consider the lack of snow and ice in the Bay Area to be one of the biggest things I'm looking forward to. (Not overjoyed about earthquakes & high costs, but it's a trade-off.)

The almanacs are allegedly predicting another rough winter for NYC too.

<snip>

(If you really can't imagine it, think North Dakota but with more snow and colder temperatures)

So do you get sun dogs? My friend who grew up in Grand Forks has told me about them, and they sound neat (except for the conditions that cause them).

• Like 1

We get sun dogs around here (i.e. NYC). I'd say I notice them a couple times a month, even in summer. Certainly not as bright and prominent as you'd see in ND (or Canada), but very clear.

Our winters are not nearly has harsh as that, and I still consider the lack of snow and ice in the Bay Area to be one of the biggest things I'm looking forward to. (Not overjoyed about earthquakes & high costs, but it's a trade-off.)

Are you going to be living in the Santa Cruz area or the peninsula? Either way don't worry about earthquakes!

Are you going to be living in the Santa Cruz area or the peninsula? Either way don't worry about earthquakes!

The peninsula--San Jose or environs. There's not enough to do in Santa Cruz IMO, and there's an excellent chance I'll need to find work in SF or elsewhere in Silicon Valley.