Sign in to follow this  
prasantrin

Winter 2014-2015

Both N and my sister & brother-in-law are due to arrive in Newark late afternoon tomorrow. Even with the airlines waiving change fees, they can't change their flights due to their schedules. And I think they're still planning on driving to my parents in central NJ.

I wonder if I'll see them before Thursday afternoon.

• Like 7

Current temperature is -25C with a windchill of -35C. We've had snow for a while, but our first big snow dump of the year started Friday night and was over by 10am Saturday. Don't know how much we ended up with (judging by my car, it was a lot), but the forecast was for 2-4 cm.

I always say I prefer a cold winter to a hot and humid summer. Not so sure about that this year...

Was 70F yesterday but supposd to have our first big storm tomorrow night/Thursday. 3 inches of rain and winds. I hope it starts while I'm eating roasted crab and garlic noodles tomorrow.

shouldn't that be in the when complaining is really bragging thread?

(currently -8C with a windchill of -19C. Winter sucks, but it's better than a hot and humid summer)

You can thank N for bringing all of the recent rain to the Bay Area. ;)

If it ends the draught I'm sure she deserves the thanks! I've read some reports mentioning the upcoming storm as the "storm of the decade." 3 inches of rain.

So school districts are closing left and right and people are still going on about the storm of the decade, or at least of the last 5 years. And I just walked out of eating a ton of crab and it's 65F at 10:51 with a slight wind. To be fair, it's not supposed to hit until a few hours, but my Parisian friend isn't convinced that this is any storm, let alone one worth worrying about. Maybe things will change in a few hours.

after a much colder than usual november we now seem to be having a much warmer than usual december. maximums this weekend are supposed to be in the 40s with minimums also above freezing.

Lot's of power out in the city and the roads are a mess of course. Transit too, but that's almost normal.

Watching the local news (a new thing), it's crazy how dumb people are. The live camera on a freeway in San Jose would be comical if people couldn't be injured.

Actually, the roads between home and school were completely flooded out, so N had to turn back and is now safely home. We're hoping that the power in her part of San Jose stays on.

We had a couple of weeks of warm weather (-5C, 0C) and then it turned cold (-20C, -25C) for a couple of weeks. It has now turned bitterly cold. When I leave for the gym tomorrow morning at 5 or 6, it's supposed to be -33C but the windchill is supposed to be -46C. Plus we got a snow dump last night (which my neighbour kindly shovelled).

Now it's really winter.

May I just say, HOLY SHIT! I start shivering when it gets around 65 degrees F (and that most definitely does not have a minus sign in front of it). God for id the power goes out. I presume you have a backup generator or some such as a just in case...

Backup generator? Those are for wimps! We here prairie folk are as hardy as they come!

I don't know for certain, but I think most people in cities don't have generators, though people out in the country might. Homes here are pretty well insulated, so we could stay warm for a while should the power go out. And as much as I complain about the cold, I'd much rather have -40C than +40C temperatures. I wilt in heat!