Sign in to follow this  
LiquidNY

Will You Buy A 4K (UHD) TV?

Thinking of getting a set in the 48-55" range. I see UHD. I see HD. I hear plasma is extinct. I see curved screens. i hear the TV sound sucks and a sound bar needs to be purchased (probably true given the age of whatever cheap components I have scattered around). So what is the answer? Is UHD (4X) the future? Does it matter given the quality of what's coming over cable? Or does it help upgrade the picture generally? Why do Consumer Reports reviews and CNET descriptions either not exist for broad swaths of product or have different model numbers? Is there somewhere to find concise, accurate info (other than here, of course)? TIA.

Well, I actually read C-NET reviews when I'm in the market for something like this. They're usually entertaining and accurate enough. So, with that in mind, I found this for you: http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/ Maybe you've already seen it, but I got a kick out of it.

And, on the other side, we have: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/4k-tv-10-reasons-why-you-should-care

In direct answer to your question, I don't think there's a one-stop answer to this. But, if you want a MF member opinion, as usual, I have one. I aint running out and buying one.

But how many people do you know that even have sound systems any more?

Me, you, and this one guy who's one of the few people I know through Alice I still stay in touch with...

But among the very biased and small sample of people I know, the total amount of money spent on home audio equipment is probably in the same ballpark as the amount of money spent on TVs and such.

Thanks, Steve. Quite informative, if opinionated. So deferring on UHD, what are the best HD sets in the 48-55" range currently available?

i just bought a samsung led smart tv and less than a month later realize that i should have looked for something that also had bluetooth connectivity for wireless headphones and keyboards. next time, i guess

Ah, the pitfalls!

but weirdly even though the documentation says the tv has no bluetooth in the sound settings there is a bluetooth menu and my old blue ant headset is discoverable by the tv. it doesn't connect but i'm guessing that's because the headset hasn't been updated in years. if i ever get beats wireless headphones i'll try again. maybe it's a secret feature

I think it's interesting that people are going whole hog for upgrades in visual reproduction, while they're abandoning any idea of the desirability of high-definition aural reproduction.

Seems the opposite from where I'm sitting - it seems genuinely hard to spend more than mid-4-figures for a TV or projector unless you're going for extremely exotic stuff, but that's probably cheaper than any significant part of your sound system.

Even a KJ-75X9400C is only $7k

4K projectors start at like 10k though. In other words, about the price of a bizarre fancy ultrasonic record cleaner.

Hand blown CRTs, with the stripes drawn in blood, spruce, and Hexaplex trunculus.

Hand blown CRTs, with the stripes drawn in blood, spruce, and Hexaplex trunculus.

Is Banksy designing TV sets now?