Sign in to follow this  
LiquidNY

Will You Buy A 4K (UHD) TV?

There was a hardcore set of videophiles who were buying Sony Trinitrons [HD resolution] till the bitter end. I have an 1800x1440 Sony Trinitron I use as the secondary monitor on my workstation [mostly when I want to play videos]. However I haven't moved the thing since the winter I was still young and recently employed in manual labour.

I don't really understand who the market for '4K', etc, TVs are supposed to be. Most people sit at least a metre from their TV and can't make out pixels at 1080 res. Computer monitors on the other hand... I've waited almost my entire life for monitors on which I could no longer differentiate the pixels. I'm getting old enough that this might happen owing to developments in my biology rather than technology.

I would have bought the 5K iMac already if it weren't for Apple's non-standard [Frankenstein?] solution to video bandwidth. I'm waiting for proper DisplayPort 1.3 support probably in the next generation of iMacs with 'Skylake' chips later this year.

• Like 3

I think one of the factors here is that most of us who live in urban environments probably can't make adequate use of respectable audio kit. Heck, I can't even really play these dinky Pioneers: 90+ per cent of my listening is through headphones. If I ever inherit the pater's McIntosh vacuum tubes, I'll probably have no choice but to sell them, unless I move to the country...

last year i ran out and bought a plasma tv after i found out i'd be stuck with an LED if i didn't act.

We bought the last generation of Pioneer plasmas as they were being liquidated during the previous recession. Was very upset when I learnt Panasonic had stopped making plasmas, and I'd failed to buy the ST60 before end of production.

Oh man, I hope I'm not bothering mine.

Never mind, I'm too much of a jerk to give a shit.

I think one of the factors here is that most of us who live in urban environments probably can't make adequate use of respectable audio kit. Heck, I can't even really play these dinky Pioneers: 90+ per cent of my listening is through headphones. If I ever inherit the pater's McIntosh vacuum tubes, I'll probably have no choice but to sell them, unless I move to the country...

Daniel Druckman is a percussionist, not his (late) father Jacob (re: the link).

Oh man, I hope I'm not bothering mine.

Never mind, I'm too much of a jerk to give a shit.

I KNOW I'm bothering mine.

Well, my building used to be a hospital. It's probably got, like, thick walls or something.

Ah, the pitfalls!

but weirdly even though the documentation says the tv has no bluetooth in the sound settings there is a bluetooth menu and my old blue ant headset is discoverable by the tv. it doesn't connect but i'm guessing that's because the headset hasn't been updated in years. if i ever get beats wireless headphones i'll try again. maybe it's a secret feature

turns out that even though samsung says the tv has no bluetooth it does. i was able to connect bluetooth earphones to the tv successfully today. the earphones cost $20 and interestingly the sound is as good as the beats wireless that cost $200. however the range leaves a lot to be desired. i wonder why samsung doesn't know the tv has bluetooth