I live a block away from Gray's Papaya. I know Gray's Papaya. Shuko is no Gray's Papaya's. "One with" is better than almost any dish I had. I won't even talk about value for money either.

I left out what Shuko did to the meat courses. They would have tasted better if they had used Adolph's Meat Tenderizer instead.

I live a block away from Gray's Papaya. I know Gray's Papaya. Shuko is no Gray's Papaya's. "One with" is better than almost any dish I had. I won't even talk about value for money either.

Or as we used to call it back when I was a cab driver, a Frank Sinatra - fully dressed.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I dined here last week, in honor of our 2nd anniversary. They offer a $135 sushi omakase or a $175 "sushi kaiseki", prices that are (surprisingly) unchanged, at least from the date of Pete Wells's three-star review almost a year and a half ago. The restaurant seems to be full steadily, suggesting A variety of optional extra dishes, none of which we ordered, can push up the price of either menu considerably.

I do have some sympathy with the complaint that the chefs are taking the word "kaiseki" in vain. We ordered the lower-priced menu, and therefore steered clear of that heresy. I didn't write down the progression of pieces, but it was excellent product, handled and served impeccably. Not a bad deal at all, bearing in mind that dinner here is less than 1/3rd of Masa, of whom these two chefs are proteges.

I share Robert Brown's dismay at a forced cancellation policy after 15 minutes, a practice far from unique to this restaurant. But once we actually got there (a bit early), we were treated to every courtesy.