Sign in to follow this  
Suzanne F

MFF Holiday Party at Louro, 1/4/15

Jesikka is just grumpy because of the espresso shortage in Paris this week.

There was a true shortage of espresso in Paris this week. Just in time I've returned for my Abraco fix. My attitude is not improved by lack of coffee, certainly.

Planning a Mouthfuls event is not something I'd wish on my enemies. And yes, I always intended this to be a dinner, though perhaps that was not clear. Nonetheless, I am looking forward to seeing the 14 of you who can attend the dinner and hopefully you will not be stuck sitting next to someone for the whole dinner that you can't stand. I recommend choosing a spot that is not next to someone you loathe. I can ask Dave to set up some solo tables by request.

Can you publish the list of attendees so we can plan our strategies accordingly? :ph43r:

That was a joke… a joke. We all love each other. Really. (mongo's not coming in for this, is he?)

Looking forward to Sunday. See you all there.

(and thanks again for doing this Jessika)

Exactly, the important thing is not to take anything too seriously.

We were seated at that Statler and Waldorf table at the Ten Belles mezzanine this morning. Three Peruvians (I'm guessing) came in, carrying a paper bag from Du Pain et Des Idées. By the shape it was obviously 250 grams of Le Pain des Amis, so you can imagine that while they're sipping their coffee, they are trying to politely ignore the waves of umami-indicative aroma this bread tends to emit as if it had its own set of bacon filled lungs.

Then a French couple enters, both with baguette sandwiches they bought at the nearby bakery. They order coffee and at first keep the sandwiches on the bench beside them, the thing to do if you're not going to order any of the beige-scale pastries the shop offers.

Some minutes pass, the Peruvians (I'm going to keep on assuming they're Peruvians) can no longer resist temptation and reach into the bag tearing pieces from the bread - covertly at first, but then... who are they kidding... just taking it out of the bag and demolishing it. The French see this as a sign that it's okay to eat your own food and start eating their sandwiches when the very nice barista (she is really a very nice person, this must be hard for her) steps over and tells them that they can't eat outside food.

The Peruvians are apologetic. To show that they are genuinely apologetic they do what they perceive to be the right thing and order three pastries. The wrong ones are delivered to the table but they're timid and say nothing. They're going to feel a little bad about the whole thing later this morning, but will have forgotten it because of the excitement of the trip, and probably overall remember that the coffee was good and that they made the shop whole. The French are embarrassed, but more than embarrassed, you can see that they feel deeply resentful that the Peruvians misled them. Possibly they even harboring some nationalistic feelings they will not speak in public, or maybe even in private, depending on how the relationship is. They sit there and are very much not enjoying themselves. They will not return to this shop.

So there you have it - you don't need familiarity for contempt, and just let everyone sit where they want, or if they can't find a place they can stand. :D

ive got a 14-17 count as of now from JK.

We open at 5pm so if anyone wants to come early for drinks or something.

What im suggesting is a fixed price menu for food of $50 per person. I cook you a miltu course, multi dish family stile dinner. Drinks are obviously on you all and we can keep individual bills for that. This is obviously my suggestion but what do i really know in the end!

If you guys just want to order you can obviously do that too i just dont think you will get to enjoy trying as much.

You used to like my Maestro story.

this is my favorite holiday story. it's been retold for decades and just last week, it was told for the last time.

i blame jesssika's terrible mismanagement.

hey, she "managed" to keep you from coming east for this… that's all we could ask for.

(happy holidays mr. jones)

i blame jesssika's terrible mismanagement.

I do enjoy the multitude of ways my screenname has been spelled here. Better an extra S (or 3) than K, I suppose.

I will see some, all, or none of you there on Sunday, depending if I join. There will be some number of us. We will either eat food or not, drink drinks or not (who am I kidding, I will definitely drink drinks), and sit or stand. Dave may choose our dishes or we will choose them ourselves. We will probably starve.

There will be a video conference with words of wisdom from Orik at 8 pm.

If Dave offers the baked oysters he gave us last night, do not refuse them even if you're not a fan of cooked oysters. They were sublime.

Have fun, all.

yeah, i don't know if tonight's holiday party will be able to live up to last night's--that was off the chain!