Not a bar, but did the little flea market on Broadway next to Tower Records close?

Was it one of your favorite places to hang out while sucking whisky from a brown paper bag?

I bought socks there sometimes.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After all the sad goings on at the former Mare Chiaro and Marion's on the Bowery, maybe we should have an ongoing thread for threatened NYC bars.   Latest warning signs come from the wonderfully nam

i had just pm'ed him that you'd be coming after him. i see it didnt take long.

Time Out has it under their Just Opened heading.

I live to report on the F train crawl.

Farrell's surpassed expectations. The first fight broke out before 7pm. :P As I left, young men were on the sidewalk being restrained by the burly bartender. As for what transpired in the restroom, it is beyond posting. Plus points: the bar is of historic interest to those of us curious about such things. From the street, it looked like just another of the ancient Irish corner bars I'd seen in Bay Ridge. Inside is a little different - in addition to the old-timers, there is a young clientele, and the air is thick with testosterone. I think the room has had a lick of paint too - it's brightness and cleanliness (and flat screen TVs) belie the aroma of beer and vomit which greet you as you enter.

The long, rectangular drinking hall reminded me of working-class pubs in Liverpool and Manchester, and I am fairly confident that this must be a surviving example of many such blue collar beer halls. The bar of plain mirrors is ornamented only by a rather nice old clock. Plain, uncurtained windows give onto the street too: how nice to be able to drink in daylight. The drink is Bud, of course. I dressed appropriately in my St John's (pig) tee-shirt, with the sleeves rolled up, and kept my accent under wraps. :P

Denny's Steak Pub in a somewhat downbeat neighborhood of Kensington was the miss of the trip. I think the main interest, in fact the sole interest, is that they serve no steak. The bar is old, but the interior has been unpleasantly updated with a plastic-looking tiled floor. It smells, to be honest, pretty ripe. And it's full of gaming machines I was the soberest soul in the place by some distance. Not recommended.

Thank goodness for Pedro's Spanish American. A true delight, and threatened by gentrification rather than irrelevance. I was forewarned that the local hipsters had adopted it: true - I assume they like the mock-adobo facade and the very cheap, but strong, cocktails. Happily, they all sit outside on the terrace, leaving the dark basement bar to regulars and taste-setters like my good self. One could branch out from Bud here, and order (if one chose) black Russians or margueritas. A hot food bar offers everything from tacos to rice and beans to burgers. I wasn't eating, but I noted huge cubanos ($4.50) and heaping plates of nachos. Bachata twitters quietly in the background. It purports to be Mexican, but the owners, I believe, are not.

This is one to re-visit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pier 63, which housed several bars along with tables and chairs from which to watch the boats go by or the sun set, has closed. :blink: According to a security guard, the boats are going to the 79th St boat basin and the pier will be 'developed'. I shudder to think what that means.

Pier 63, which housed several bars along with tables and chairs from which to watch the boats go by or the sun set, has closed. :lol: According to a security guard, the boats are going to the 79th St boat basin and the pier will be 'developed'. I shudder to think what that means.

No. No. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :blink:

I should have taken the hint when a NYPD mounted officer told me that the stables would be moving in a year or two. Whaaa :lol:

I stopped by the "new" Blind Tiger yesterday evening. It's a very pleasant space, with small tables and lots of old, dark wood (which they say on their Website that they salvaged from an old farmhouse). The chili is good--beef, pork, bean, and peppers in a spicy broth, and at $4 for a big cup ($6.50 for a bowl) it's a real bargain. They also have soup and pressed sandwiches, desserts, coffee, and various specialty sodas (including RC Cola :blink: ). They've got WiFi too.

They're not doing well. There was a recent email from them basically saying that they might not last long enough to get the license. Stephanie, were they crowded?

I walked past last night at around 9:00. There were about 5 people in the place. A beer bar without beer is not a viable proposition.