• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After all the sad goings on at the former Mare Chiaro and Marion's on the Bowery, maybe we should have an ongoing thread for threatened NYC bars.   Latest warning signs come from the wonderfully nam

i had just pm'ed him that you'd be coming after him. i see it didnt take long.

Time Out has it under their Just Opened heading.

Posted Images

Actually, Sam just decided to retire.  We missed the closing down party a couple of weeks ago.  Many long time friends, including a bunch from the original closed Atlantic Ave location.  The "Black Coffee Blues Band" was always great to hear, especially when Poppa Chubby was in town.

• 1 month later...

The Dublin House on West 79th turned 100 before the holidays.

”Perhaps a celebratory libation is indicated.”

Nah, let’s just go drink some Guinness.

(Apologies to Nik Cohn.)

BCCEEBED-B1C1-4BCD-9428-07FE5F99C7DC.jpeg

I lived on that block for two years. Late at night it was a pretty rough place. I saw a guy get karate kicked in the head there, once. Also, the taps were filthy.

Oh, that's good. I did enjoy sitting there on a Sunday afternoon. And it was better than the fratty junk on Amsterdam. I'm trying to remember where I liked to drink up there and coming up empty.

• 1 month later...

From the article -- higher prices, smaller portions. somehow I doubt that the broiled, stuffed lobster will be on the new menu. I strongly suspect that this re-vamp will be another typical decision by new owners that takes a popular and viable business, "upgrades" it by altering its particular character or over-expanding, runs it into the ground, and wonders why it failed.