• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After all the sad goings on at the former Mare Chiaro and Marion's on the Bowery, maybe we should have an ongoing thread for threatened NYC bars.   Latest warning signs come from the wonderfully nam

i had just pm'ed him that you'd be coming after him. i see it didnt take long.

Time Out has it under their Just Opened heading.

Amazing. And I saw the owner of Holiday Cocktail Lounge walking unassisted a few weeks back too :wub: .

(Note for uninitiated: an avowed alcoholic Ukrainian gentleman, heavy with years.)

Let me start listing some of the "joints" from Charlie LeDuff's Work and Other Sins (see Currently Reading). Anyone know these places, and if they are still open, please chip in:

Cafe Bar (Astoria)

The Schlitz Inn (Port Morris)

Denny's Steak Pub (Kensington)

Mimi's (52nd and 2nd)

Montero's (somewhere near Red Hook)

And I didn't notice the "freak bar" attached to the Coney island Sideshow when I was there.

LeDuff has more - including many places we know and surely love - but that's a start.

I knew Farrell's sounded familiar: here's Steve R. from the Bay Ridge thread:

"Farrell's is still there at 16th or 17th Street and 9th Ave (Prospect Park West). F train to 15th St will do it, if needed. It was featured in the 2 Dennis Hopper movies "Smoke" and "???". Sort of like what McSorley's used to be, although this neighborhood has changed as well, with the surrounding bars/restaurants getting an influx of youngsters. Still a hangout for local softball teams."

"Farrell's is still there at 16th or 17th Street and 9th Ave (Prospect Park West). F train to 15th St will do it, if needed. It was featured in the 2 Dennis Hopper movies "Smoke" and "???". Sort of like what McSorley's used to be, although this neighborhood has changed as well, with the surrounding bars/restaurants getting an influx of youngsters. Still a hangout for local softball teams."

Isn't that Harvey Keitel in Smoke and Blue in the Face not Dennis Hopper?

I could swear I said something witty about Farrell's too?

More than once, apparently, but it never ages:

"Farrell's is a favorite of my ex-boyfriend and I went a few times. There are no seats at the bar but there are tables. Don't go for 'good' beer, you go for cheap ice cold Bud in containers. Containers are the huge styrofoam cups.

I believe I posted this before but this is my favorite quote from the bartender when asked for a light beer: 'just drink half.'"

Amazing. And I saw the owner of Holiday Cocktail Lounge walking unassisted a few weeks back too :wub: .

(Note for uninitiated: an avowed alcoholic Ukrainian gentleman, heavy with years.)

Let me start listing some of the "joints" from Charlie LeDuff's [i}Work and Other Sins[/i] (see Currently Reading). Anyone know these places, and if they are still open, please chip in:

Cafe Bar (Astoria)

The Schlitz Inn (Port Morris)

Denny's Steak Pub (Kensington)

Mimi's (52nd and 2nd)

Montero's (somewhere near Red Hook)

And I didn't notice the "freak bar" attached to the Coney island Sideshow when I was there.

LeDuff has more - including many places we know and surely love - but that's a start.

According to CH the Schlitz Inn is gone.

Montero's (on Atlantic Avenue at the edge of the Heights) is alive and well. It's the type of place you'd enjoy - kitschy nautical decor, colorful pre gentrification locals, and a good jukebox. Looks like it hasn't changed in 40 years. Stick to Budweiser to avoid making waves.

More than once, apparently, but it never ages:

"Farrell's is a favorite of my ex-boyfriend and I went a few times. There are no seats at the bar but there are tables. Don't go for 'good' beer, you go for cheap ice cold Bud in containers. Containers are the huge styrofoam cups.

I believe I posted this before but this is my favorite quote from the bartender when asked for a light beer: 'just drink half.'"

Alas, it was the bartender's wit and not mine. Another tip: don't order a sea breeze.

I was thinking this morning that we should list the bars of New York which really need to be protected.  Although I am always sad when a bar closes to be replaced by a business which retails something other than alcohol, there are plenty of bars which would not, of themselves, be missed.

I will start the ball rolling with some calls which seem to me obvious:

McSorley's

The Bridge Cafe (to the extent it is a bar, anyway)

Pete's Tavern

The Old Town Bar

The Holiday Cocktail Lounge*

The Holland Bar*

Smith's*

The Three Jolly Pigeons  (Bay Ridge)

Chumley's

The Lion's Head, even though it keeps changing its damn name.

The Seville Lounge  (Harlem)

The Landmark Tavern (just saved from extinction)

Any more?

*These are ones I am particularly nervous about losing.

A subject dear to us. Ghoulish as it is to think about it, we fear for:

Subway Inn

Jimmy's Corner (or do you know something that we don't?)

The Blarney Cove (East 14th)

Walker's

Puffy's. Althought it's been over a year since I have been in there and the last time may not count since it was 3 AM and my recollection is a tad fuzzy.

It hasn't been invaded by the roving hoards of Wall Streeters who made it impossible to ever again go to the Ear Inn, has it?

Let me start listing some of the "joints" from Charlie LeDuff's [i}Work and Other Sins[/i] (see Currently Reading).  Anyone know these places, and if they are still open, please chip in:

Cafe Bar (Astoria)

I know of one Cafe Bar in Astoria, right across the street from Kaufman Astoria Studios, but I doubt it's the same one you're looking for. It's sort of a lounge-y coffee bar/restaurant.