I knew Farrell's sounded familiar: here's Steve R. from the Bay Ridge thread:

"Farrell's is still there at 16th or 17th Street and 9th Ave (Prospect Park West). F train to 15th St will do it, if needed. It was featured in the 2 Dennis Hopper movies "Smoke" and "???". Sort of like what McSorley's used to be, although this neighborhood has changed as well, with the surrounding bars/restaurants getting an influx of youngsters. Still a hangout for local softball teams."

Isn't that Harvey Keitel in Smoke and Blue in the Face not Dennis Hopper?

Picky, picky, but correct: Keitel, not Hopper. But at least I got the location correct.

And, to atone:

Montero's is not Red Hook. It's on Atlantic Ave., just off Hicks. Still alive and kicking. New, upscale awning, but same owners.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After all the sad goings on at the former Mare Chiaro and Marion's on the Bowery, maybe we should have an ongoing thread for threatened NYC bars.   Latest warning signs come from the wonderfully nam

i had just pm'ed him that you'd be coming after him. i see it didnt take long.

Time Out has it under their Just Opened heading.

Montero's is not Red Hook. It's on Atlantic Ave., just off Hicks. Still alive and kicking. New, upscale awning, but same owners.

I thought you read all my posts.

As for Farrell's, I used to hang out at a bar where plenty of the regulars also frequented Farrell's. Most of them have since moved on but they are not missed.

In the LeDuff book, the Cafe Bar in Astoria sounds far from loungy.

Yes, Red Hook was the only clue I could get from the book about where Montero's might be - thanks.

I haven't been to Puffy's in years.

I only know one Cafe Bar in Astoria and it is a loungey type of place. Maybe it was redone, or the name appropriated?

34th Avenue and 35th Street, down the block from Tupelo's?

Looking at the LeDuff piece again, I guess there's no reason to suppose it isn't loungy, other than the depiction of the customers. The piece is more about the owner, Monica Konstantinides.

Also there's a nice little piece on brothers Phil and Ruby of Ruby's Old Time Bar on Coney Island, both now deceased.

I only know one Cafe Bar in Astoria and it is a loungey type of place. Maybe it was redone, or the name appropriated?

34th Avenue and 35th Street, down the block from Tupelo's?

Yes, though it's at 36th Street, not 35th. Tupelo is closed.

Fantasty, Tamar and I had a girls' night out (after the guys stood us up :wub: :( ) and said goodbye to McHale's while watching Mark Messier's number being retired. I will miss the place and boy, am I going to miss that burger. None of us could quite finish them although we all,uh, manfully finished the great lashings of bacon served with the burgers and an enormous platter of onion rings.

If the closing is extended past next week, I see at least one more terrific burger coming up.

If the closing is extended past next week, I see at least one more terrific burger coming up.

The current Playbill board reports the date is now "during the week of January 16" so the coming week would seem to be finis. But, the date has changed several times, so who knows for sure?

McHale's

Edited by Rail Paul

Walking home last night I passed the now closed McHale's which was being rapidly dismantled and had been stripped down to the bare walls. As I was peeking in I heard a woman who identified herself as one of the family that owns the place telling a passerby that all the fixtures are going into storage and that they are searching for a new location. I wonder if the terrific neon sign outside will be part of that.