• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After all the sad goings on at the former Mare Chiaro and Marion's on the Bowery, maybe we should have an ongoing thread for threatened NYC bars.   Latest warning signs come from the wonderfully nam

i had just pm'ed him that you'd be coming after him. i see it didnt take long.

Time Out has it under their Just Opened heading.

I remember a poster on CH a few years back who went to Grand Sichuan International, ordered the chow fun, found it wanting, and pronounced the place "overrated." We used him as a human piñata for days.

Besides the pasta, the chicken dishes at Minetta Tavern have never disappointed me either.

If only the Balkan bartender could be persuaded to switch the satellite radio station from classic rock to Gershwin and Cole Porter.

Really? Weekend afternoons are reliably tuned to Broadway songbook and jazz. :P

We were there Saturday around 5 and were served classic rock. After a couple of martinis Foghat can grow on you. I think I'm going to try cultivate semi regular status and push him towards a break from the Pink Floyd.

Funny that you point that out, Lex. It's been a back-burner project for us to get Taka (Minetta Tavern's lovely owner) to switch off the sattelite radio, and play some of the jazz mix CD's we've brought in. He smiles and says that he'll think about it...

As for the food, I can think of only one or two mild disappointments during frequent visits in the past few years. The steak is actually quite good. Sweetbreads, when they have them, are very good, but one should request to have them 'skinned'. :P Also perennialy good are the warm octopus and potato appetizer, and the paparadelle with rabbit ragu.

Speaking of back burner projects, I have some time on my hands, so I plan to get back to that list of old curiosities I haven't yet visited. Denny's, Farrell's, Pedro's - look out (although there are rumors that Pedro's has been discovered by W'Burg hipsters :P ).

I am open to other suggestions.

I also intend to get back to the bar at the Flash Inn, whether I eat there or not. It is one of those tranquil, healing places, like the Holland Bar (maybe not so tranquil after a Yankees game...).

Funny that you point that out, Lex. It's been a back-burner project for us to get Taka (Minetta Tavern's lovely owner) to switch off the sattelite radio, and play some of the jazz mix CD's we've brought in. He smiles and says that he'll think about it...

As for the food, I can think of only one or two mild disappointments during frequent visits in the past few years. The steak is actually quite good. Sweetbreads, when they have them, are very good, but one should request to have them 'skinned'. :P Also perennialy good are the warm octopus and potato appetizer, and the paparadelle with rabbit ragu.

Lex and Deb got us to Minetta twice in the last 6 months, both for substantial time at the bar and once a continuation for dinner. Based on the one dinner the 4 of us had, I'd go back easily. I love the room, the service was good and the food was above average. As for the bar, Ginny and I have been back without them several times and we prod the bartender into playing the rock station. Foghat no, Pink Floyd yes. Each time, he was playing Broadway, cabaret music or jazz. Nice place. Even ran into Fritz Weaver & got Deb star struck :P

As for the bar, Ginny and I have been back without them several times and we prod the bartender into playing the rock station. Foghat no, Pink Floyd yes. Each time, he was playing Broadway, cabaret music or jazz.

I don't know quite how to thank you for this Steve. Perhaps I'll drop by Henry's End and encourage them to play rap music and heavy metal during the dinner hour. :P

Lex and Deb got us to Minetta twice in the last 6 months, both for substantial time at the bar and once a continuation for dinner. Based on the one dinner the 4 of us had, I'd go back easily. I love the room, the service was good and the food was above average. As for the bar, Ginny and I have been back without them several times and we prod the bartender into playing the rock station. Foghat no, Pink Floyd yes. Each time, he was playing Broadway, cabaret music or jazz. Nice place. Even ran into Fritz Weaver & got Deb star struck :P

Fritz Weaver, ooooh. :P Lovely, lovely man. Except when he played Lizzie Borden's father.

I would've axed him myself.

Did I ever tell you about the time I met Liberace?

The warm octopus and potato salad is really very nice. And Taka is very nice. But it would be nice to have some decent jazz over a martini.

I would like to experiment a bit more with the menu. Somebody was eating something at the bar once that had a sort of veal/chicken parm sorta look to it. I'd like to run it down. It looked really good.

And, Wilfrid, if Lex ever rolls out of the sack I will remind him to warn you off Farrell's. Ix-nay.

Speaking of back burner projects, I have some time on my hands, so I plan to get back to that list of old curiosities I haven't yet visited. Denny's, Farrell's...

Instead of going to Farrell's, why not just buy a quart bottle of Budweiser and hang out with some assholes for an hour? The effect would be the same.

Farrell's acquired it's reputation back in the days when New York Times reporters rarely ventured out of Manhattan. When their editors wanted comments from the "little people" in the boroughs they would send them out to Farrell's. The directions are probably on an index card in the newsroom. In short Farrell's is nothing special, a blue collar Budweiser place with a clientele that likes to shout at each other. There are hundreds of places like it all around the city.

For a more interesting Brooklyn experience head over to Red Hook to Red Hook Bait and Tackle, a funky place filled with tacky taxidermy and a local clientele that has chosen the road less traveled. My favorite piece in there is a rampant stuffed bear who gazes out over the crowd. I've been there a dozen times and there seems to be a perpetual 2 for 1 happy hour, a sort of Bar Heaven.

Bait & Tackle is just down the street from Hope & Anchor, a dineresqe place with pretty good food. They run karaoke nights 3 or 4 nights a week hosted by a 6' 2'' transvestite named Kay Sera. On a more conventional note 2 blocks away is 360, a restaurant run by French expatriates that serves very good food at ridiculously low prices. Well worth a visit.

Speaking of back burner projects, I have some time on my hands, so I plan to get back to that list of old curiosities I haven't yet visited. Denny's, Farrell's...

Instead of going to Farrell's. why not just buy a quart bottle of Budweiser and hang out with some assholes for an hour? The effect would be the same.

Farrell's acquired it's reputation back in the days when New York Times reporters rarely ventured out of Manhattan. When their editors wanted comments from the "little people" in the boroughs they would send them out to Farrell's. The directions are probably on an index card in the newsroom. In short Farrell's is nothing special, a blue collar Budweiser place with a clientele that likes to shout at each other. There are hundreds of places like it all around the city.

For a more interesting Brooklyn experience head over to Red Hook to Red Hook Bait and Tackle, a funky place filled with tacky taxidermy and a local clientele that has chosen the road less traveled. My favorite piece in there is a rampant stuffed bear who gazes out over the crowd. I've been there a dozen times and there seems to be a perpetual 2 for 1 happy hour, a sort of Bar Heaven.

Bait & Tackle is just down the street from Hope & Anchor, a dineresqe place with pretty good food. They run karaoke nights 3 or 4 nights a week hosted by a 6' 2'' transvestite named Kay Sera. On a more conventional note 2 blocks away is 360, a restaurant run by French expatriates that serves very good food at ridiculously low prices. Well worth a visit.

Gotta agree w/Lex here. Farrell's is home to softball teams at best. The Red Hook places Lex cites are worth the visit and you can continue the crawl by going to Sonny's & Lillie's, 2 interesting but very different bars in the immediate area. Lillie's is a late night, open mic and live music type of place that's used for many film shoots because it has retained its Hell's Angels character while showcasing hipster bluegrass, etc. (Lillie herself is quite an outgoing character), while Sonny's is a dba or Blind Tiger type place that, for example, employed a bunch of N.Orleans style young white musicians from the neighborhood to start playing at 11pm on the street directly in front of the Waterfront Museum after one of their concerts let out, to 'Pied Piper" everyone down the street to the bar. Tuba included. Neither of these places, nor Bait and Tackle, have been renovated in many, many years.

No Farrell's? But I was looking forward to it. :P

Dammit, I was in Red Hook yesterday (see different thread). I liked the Old Pioneer, but I assumed the Bait & Tackle place (which I saw) was just a suprisingly popular angling store. :P

No Farrell's? But I was looking forward to it. :P

Dammit, I was in Red Hook yesterday (see different thread). I liked the Old Pioneer, but I assumed the Bait & Tackle place (which I saw) was just a suprisingly popular angling store. :P

It's funny 'cause most people like Old Pioneer's "ambience". But...it's a renovation by Alan Harding 2 years ago. He and his team are getting great at this: check out Smith St just off Atlantic. There's an entire strip of restaurants (LaRosa Pizza, Gravy, Trout and Pacifico) that all look like they have been there for years. In fact, each one was a gut rehab by Harding and his "faux authentic" whiz kids. By the way, leaving aside the food served, each is remarkably well done. Then you notice that they all share a kitchen :P

I congratulated myself. I was sitting there thinking, what a great old bar. But then something made me ask the bartender, "Excuse me, but is this place as old as it looks?"

And she told the truth. :P