Steve & Ginny Go to Seattle: Where to eat, what to order, who to see?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, not this month. Or next. We have a wedding to attend the weekend of June 26-28th a couple of hours away in Leavenworth & will probably stick around Seattle afterwards for a couple of weeks o

We're honestly not sure how we ever used to fit working into our schedule.

We'll be back home in frigid NYC in a week & I'll seriously search & lock in something then. Just couldn't bring myself to do any of it while here in Fla. Meanwhile, thanks for the 2 links.

How's the Chinese food in Seattle, say compared to LA or NYC? (Hopefully, you're not following that thread).

I haven't eaten Chinese in NYC or LA, but I have been to a few of the better places in SF and Vancouver. Seattle Chinese has improved quite a bit in the last 5 years, but I wouldn't put it at the level of the best I've had in those cities. Zhu Dang, a new contemporary styled place, is getting good reviews, but I haven't been yet.

Vietnamese on the other hand, is a real strength in Seattle, and there are places from hole in the wall pho to nicer spots that I would put up against anywhere in the US.

We're currently in Florida till the end of Feb, escaping the NYC winter, but I brought my Seattle folder with me & fully intend to try to find something. If I can pry myself off our balcony on the Gulf, with waves crashing. Or the tennis court.

Wow. Retirement really sucks.

We're honestly not sure how we ever used to fit working into our schedule.

:lol:

Do you get a different cut at Bern's every day at 4pm?

We've been mainly staying locally on the Gulf Beaches area so far, but Rich & Peg are joining us in Tampa this weekend & Bern's is reserved for both Fri & Sat dinners. Yes, different cuts (& different wines) but at 7pm (still early enough). Wanna join us?

I love Bern's. The last we went we had a 1964 Guigal Brunet et Blonde and about ten pounds of meat for four people. Say hi to Dean for me at the bar.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a couple of places for your longer visit over the 4th of July. The are both on Lake Union, just North of downtown. One is on the East side of the lake (my favorite neighborhood) and one is on the West side.

East side with a view to the West:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2516391?checkin=06%2F29%2F2015&checkout=07%2F08%2F2015&guests=2&locale=en

West side houseboat with a view to the East

http://www.vrbo.com/609189?CID=a_cj_7130284&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=7130284&utm_campaign=10859114_

Belltown is fine to stay in. It's just not the epicenter of activity it used to be. That would be Capital Hill or Pioneer Square as tighe mentioned. If I were to pick one of those places to stay, it would have to be Capitol Hill as it's more central to Ballard, Fremont and Queen Anne. Actually, Queen Anne might be a good place to stay. I've not seen the rooms at the MarQueen but I've had drinks in the bar. It's a great location. http://www.marqueen.com/

We'll be back home in frigid NYC in a week & I'll seriously search & lock in something then. Just couldn't bring myself to do any of it while here in Fla. Meanwhile, thanks for the 2 links. Both look good but neither will work for us because I will definitely fall down the stairs from the bedrooms in each trying to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Not to mention the thought of climbing back up afterwards.

Definitely looking forward to this trip & meeting as many of youse as interested.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't hesitate to stay in Belltown, plenty of people live there after all. It can get dicey late on weekends when the clubs and bars shut down, but it's not a dangerous area, at least by most big city standards. If you wanted play it safer, you could go a bit further north, to Lower Queen Anne or northeast and stay somewhere around the south end of Lake Union. Both areas have plenty of restaurants, etc and easy access to downtown.

Who needs safer?! With some prior review from Lauren, we've booked our 9 day post wedding stay (6/29-7/7) in an apt in Belltown (Wall & 2nd). Even has a garage space, a balcony looking over an internal (quiet) courtyard and a roof deck overlooking the area. And, I think, a washer & dryer. Ginny will protect me.

• Like 1

I wouldn't hesitate to stay in Belltown, plenty of people live there after all. It can get dicey late on weekends when the clubs and bars shut down, but it's not a dangerous area, at least by most big city standards. If you wanted play it safer, you could go a bit further north, to Lower Queen Anne or northeast and stay somewhere around the south end of Lake Union. Both areas have plenty of restaurants, etc and easy access to downtown.

Who needs safer?! With some prior review from Lauren, we've booked our 9 day post wedding stay (6/29-7/7) in an apt in Belltown (Wall & 2nd). Even has a garage space, a balcony looking over an internal (quiet) courtyard and a roof deck overlooking the area. And, I think, a washer & dryer. Ginny will protect me.

And now we have a rental car and have booked into the Sliver Cloud Inn - Lake Union for the first 3 nights we're there (6/23, 24& 25). Anyone for dinner, dim sum, &/or drinks?

• 3 months later...

Trip coming up in 10 days… looking forward to meeting the people behind the names I've seen for so long. Thanks Lauren for accommodating our schedule on burger night at Lark. Hopefully, I can also get to meet rockdoggydog, tighe and some of the others who aren't coming to that on another night.

Anyone have any idea if we're missing Copper River salmon season? Cant get that here in NYC and remember loving it.

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived at the Silver Cloud Inn on Lake Union last night around 8:30pm & checked in. Watched the sun fade over the lake & walked over to the bar at Duke's Chowder House for a couple of beers & their post 9pm Happy Hour bites while watching the boats. Not a bad beginning overall. Picked up our rental car this morning and drove around Pioneer Sq., Pikes Pl., the Space Needle and a couple of other areas without getting out... just a little overview drive since we haven't been here for 14 years. Lots has changed & the entire area seems to be continuing construction at a breakneck pace. Curious as to what folks think about the changes.

At any rate, we're meeting some long time friends who moved here 25 years ago for dinner tonite in Ballard at Bastille. Tomorrow we'll take the free hotel shuttle down to Pikes Place Market and see the fish fly (they still do that?), then maybe hit the Ferris Wheel and other Touristy things. Dinner is open. Ideas welcome.

Friday morning, it's off to Leavenworth for 3 nights of pre-wedding events & the wedding of the elder son of a Bklyn friend since we were 15 years old who has lived on Mercer Island for the last 25 or so, but has a house outside Cashmere & somehow thinks that having folks stay in Little Bavaria will be a hoot. Back to Seattle on Mon for 8 nights in our Belltown apt.

In summary... we're here. Nice.

Yay! Sorry, I've been remiss in my email. We just went to Matt's in the Market last week with a friend visiting from Cleveland. It had been a couple of years since I'd been and I HIGHLY recommend it. We all loved what we had and our visitor especially liked her crab and shrimp sandwich. I'm off to LA until Monday and will email you when I get back. Sorry it's raining today!

Say hello to Aaron in LA and speak to you next week. It's not raining & hasn't been yet wherever we've been.

eta: just booked dinner at Matt's for Mon, the day we return. Used "rezbook" for the 1st time & realized it's a subsidiary of opentable? What's up with this... same thing, no dining points?