Steve & Ginny Go to Seattle: Where to eat, what to order, who to see?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, not this month. Or next. We have a wedding to attend the weekend of June 26-28th a couple of hours away in Leavenworth & will probably stick around Seattle afterwards for a couple of weeks o

We're honestly not sure how we ever used to fit working into our schedule.

We'll be back home in frigid NYC in a week & I'll seriously search & lock in something then. Just couldn't bring myself to do any of it while here in Fla. Meanwhile, thanks for the 2 links.

Anyone have an opinion on Roux? I know it fell out of Eater's top 38 list, but it looks good to me & has $1 oysters at Happy Hour. Also, any comments on Le Medusa on Rainier Ave S. (Sicilian?) or La Carta De Oaxaca in Ballard? Thanks

I really like Roux. The original chef lefta few months ago but I've been a couple of times since then and the quality hasn't dropped. Medusa is okay but not noteworthy, imo. I haven't been to La Carta in eons so I have noa what it's like these days.

• Like 1

Had a very nice dinner tonight at Matt's at the Market. Everything was excellent, although I did think that the Lamb Tongue app. I had included a few too many ingredients (a pet peeve of mine). My Halibut entree was probably one of the best tasting (& prepared) pieces of fish I've had in a long time. All in all, a most enjoyable meal.

As an aside, this (unusual?) 85-90degree weather would be unbearable in NYC, but without the humidity here, we're walking around with hardly any sweat. It's a much bigger adjustment with the 9-9:30 dusk. And it's nice to be in a walking town. Yesterday, other than a Monorail ride of 1 stop, we got from our Belltown apt. to Sculpture Park to Seattle Center to downtown to Pike Market & then back to our apt. by foot. Good exercise, given that we're both suffering from tennis withdrawal.

Food wise, I always hesitate to recommend places where the food hits the spot but isn't a top place or a destination within a city that's full of good places like this one is. However, last night we ate at the bar at Black Bottle on 1st Ave & had a very satisfying small (well, medium really) plates meal. Cauliflower fritters, fried chicken w/collard greens, artichoke heart w/crisped farro, lamb meatballs w/hummus & feta and salad, some flatbreads & several nice glasses of white & reds - each was good & all in we hardly broke $100. All over the ethnic map, with at least another dozen offerings of meat, seafood & vegetarian options that we didn't try, it's a place I'm happy to applaud.

Tonight, we're joining some friends at Copper Leaf, which looks like a classy farm to table place I might actually like. Tomorrow night is open and we may wind up at Sichuanese Cuisine in C'town on Jackson, a place several friends have told us that they like. Or Roux. Or elsewhere.

• Like 1

As an aside, this (unusual?) 85-90degree weather would be unbearable in NYC, but without the humidity here, we're walking around with hardly any sweat. It's a much bigger adjustment with the 9-9:30 dusk. And it's nice to be in a walking town. Yesterday, other than a Monorail ride of 1 stop, we got from our Belltown apt. to Sculpture Park to Seattle Center to downtown to Pike Market & then back to our apt. by foot. Good exercise, given that we're both suffering from tennis withdrawal.

Food wise, I always hesitate to recommend places where the food hits the spot but isn't a top place or a destination within a city that's full of good places like this one is. However, last night we ate at the bar at Black Bottle on 1st Ave & had a very satisfying small (well, medium really) plates meal. Cauliflower fritters, fried chicken w/collard greens, artichoke heart w/crisped farro, lamb meatballs w/hummus & feta and salad, some flatbreads & several nice glasses of white & reds - each was good & all in we hardly broke $100. All over the ethnic map, with at least another dozen offerings of meat, seafood & vegetarian options that we didn't try, it's a place I'm happy to applaud.

Tonight, we're joining some friends at Copper Leaf, which looks like a classy farm to table place I might actually like. Tomorrow night is open and we may wind up at Sichuanese Cuisine in C'town on Jackson, a place several friends have told us that they like. Or Roux. Or elsewhere.

Black Bottle was a hot place when it first opened a number of years ago. Haven't heard anything about it for a long time, glad you enjoyed it.

Interested to hear what you think of Copperleaf. I live down that direction and am a big fan. A really underappreciated restaurant, IMO, mostly because it's out of town and near the airport.

I had thought that, since it rains there so much, Seatlle would have high humidity. It doesn't? That's great to know.

Rain and heat almost never coincide here, though we've had a few days recently that felt like the East Coast, even some thunderstorms.

Anyone have an opinion on Roux? I know it fell out of Eater's top 38 list, but it looks good to me & has $1 oysters at Happy Hour. Also, any comments on Le Medusa on Rainier Ave S. (Sicilian?) or La Carta De Oaxaca in Ballard? Thanks

As Lauren said, La Medusa isn't really notable in terms of Italian places in Seattle, but if you're interested in seeing a neighborhood that's off the beaten path, Columbia City is fun, particularly if you can make it to the Wednesday farmers market. There are some other restaurants in the same 'hood that are good and a new place that I'm really intrigued by called Salted Sea. If you're up for it, you could do well just sampling dishes at places along a 2 or 3 block strip on Rainier.

I was at Black Bottle a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. We had a cocktail and some nibbles and the shishito peppers were the highlight. Sauteed perfectly with just the right amount of salt.

Black Bottle was a hot place when it first opened a number of years ago. Haven't heard anything about it for a long time, glad you enjoyed it.

Interested to hear what you think of Copperleaf. I live down that direction and am a big fan. A really underappreciated restaurant, IMO, mostly because it's out of town and near the airport.

Copper Leaf was excellent. Since there are some New Yawkers who are probably reading along & don't know details (they've been posting on this thread & are clearly stalking me), let me explain that the restaurant is on the grounds of what was once the WaMu retreat & is now a beautiful resort (Cedarbrook Lodge). The setting is quiet, classy & well removed from the inner city. Real chairs, real tablecloths, real glassware. They tell you where each component of each dish originates & are very sincere about everything.... I won't hold that against them (sarcasm). At any rate, every dish was excellent. Small plates of soft shell crab were expertly fried, crunchy but completely free of any grease & tasty as any I've had. The accompanying corn pudding & collards, with pieces of pickled watermelon were all perfect. Salads were fresh & flavorful. My Main of Iberico pork medallions on a bed of excellent flageolet beans, porcini mushrooms, pepper corn bread & red cherry vinaigrette was a great dish, as was Ginny's main of duck w/roasted nectarines, nettles, onions & pickled ramps. These were better than anything I've had in any comparably priced place at home (like Dover, for anyone familiar). Our friends similarly loved their tuna & lamb dishes, but are not sharers so I'll have to believe them. The 4 of us couldn't agree on a bottle of wine that would go with everything, so we stuck to glasses. All were local & very nice. My Reisling was not sweet & very nicely balanced. Ginny loved her Cab. All in, this meal barely cost us $100/person & was well worth more than that. Tighe is correct... this is a winner.
  • Like 1

Was in a mood & almost decided to go to 5 Points for dinner. Then reason prevailed. Were we correct?

Looks like we're going to Some Random Bar instead. Recommended by a friend & right next door to Black Bottle, so we looked in several nights ago & liked what we saw. Crab nachos sounds just right, since we had burgers for lunch at a friend's place.

The food at the 5 Point is surprisingly decent. I work nearby and have been for lunch a few times. Tilikum Place Café next door is one of the more reliably excellent places in town, even if nothing will particularly wow you in terms of creativity and novelty.

Did you go to Some Random Bar? I was also there the night I went to Black Bottle. I had the nachos you mentioned and they were great. But there was some sporting event and there were crowds of people watching the game. It wasn't the feel I was expecting from the space.