Eppes Essen...Livingston...excellent! One of the, if not the best...

ELA, the pleasure was ours.

Well, thank you...actually, as I've said, personally, for my likes, taste, etc. -- I don't think there are any "very good" Kosher or Kosher-style deli's in Northern NJ, EXCEPT for Eppes Essen and the Kosher Nosh. That said, the Kosher Nosh is very close to me (my office, and not "that far" from where I live) and given it's the best around me, I have no problem driving 15 minutes or so even if I was home. I've been to all of the deli's in Bergen County, and I think the Kosher Nosh is "the best of an average at best" bunch -- and I just can't find a really good pastrami sandwich I like in Bergen County. I think Benny's in Fair Lawn is "pretty good" -- but the Kosher Nosh is better. You get a "bigger" sandwich at Benny's, but the pastrami at the KN in my opinion is better, tastier

Thank you in advance.

You don't count Hobby's in Newark as North Jersey?https://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/nj-dining-hobbys-delicatessen/

Yes, I would count Newark/Hobby's as North Jersey (for the most part -- here comes the North, South, Central debate again, LOL, although this is not really up for debate, LOL). However, Hobby's is not that Kosher, Kosher-style, etc., style of deli of course. Excellent pastrami -- without question! One of my favorites. Whenever I have the chance, business, pleasure, etc. -- I go to Hobby's.

Yes, if it's just pastrami, for me -- I rate Hobby's up there. But if I am looking for the meal -- kasha varnishkes, potato pancakes, knish, maybe some egg or mushroom barley, that kind of food -- then I am going to Eppes Essen. Thanks.

If you're not kosher it doesn't matter anyway. 'Kosher style" is a pretty loosely goosey term. If there is no misgiyach on staff it isn't kosher, if they don't use kosher meat it isn't kosher, no matter if there is an actual Reuben served on premises or not :)

Eppes Essen has cheeseburgers on the menu. And all kinds of deli meat sandwiches with cheese. So... No less kosher style then hobbys.

ELA, the pleasure was ours.

Well, thank you...actually, as I've said, personally, for my likes, taste, etc. -- I don't think there are any "very good" Kosher or Kosher-style deli's in Northern NJ, EXCEPT for Eppes Essen and the Kosher Nosh. That said, the Kosher Nosh is very close to me (my office, and not "that far" from where I live) and given it's the best around me, I have no problem driving 15 minutes or so even if I was home. I've been to all of the deli's in Bergen County, and I think the Kosher Nosh is "the best of an average at best" bunch -- and I just can't find a really good pastrami sandwich I like in Bergen County. I think Benny's in Fair Lawn is "pretty good" -- but the Kosher Nosh is better. You get a "bigger" sandwich at Benny's, but the pastrami at the KN in my opinion is better, tastier

Thank you in advance.

You don't count Hobby's in Newark as North Jersey?https://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/nj-dining-hobbys-delicatessen/

Yes, I would count Newark/Hobby's as North Jersey (for the most part -- here comes the North, South, Central debate again, LOL, although this is not really up for debate, LOL). However, Hobby's is not that Kosher, Kosher-style, etc., style of deli of course. Excellent pastrami -- without question! One of my favorites. Whenever I have the chance, business, pleasure, etc. -- I go to Hobby's.

Yes, if it's just pastrami, for me -- I rate Hobby's up there. But if I am looking for the meal -- kasha varnishkes, potato pancakes, knish, maybe some egg or mushroom barley, that kind of food -- then I am going to Eppes Essen. Thanks.

If you're not kosher it doesn't matter anyway. 'Kosher style" is a pretty loosely goosey term. If there is no misgiyach on staff it isn't kosher, if they don't use kosher meat it isn't kosher, no matter if there is an actual Reuben served on premises or not :)

Eppes Essen has cheeseburgers on the menu. And all kinds of deli meat sandwiches with cheese. So... No less kosher style then hobbys.

Yes, if you are not Kosher it wouldn't matter as both are not (Kosher). Obviously Eppes Essen is not Kosher, hence I was trying to refer to the "style" of deli, and my own likes, taste, etc., having nothing to do with the technical "Kosher" or religious aspect.

I didn't take anything away from Hobby's because it's not Kosher and certainly I wouldn't infer that Eppes Essen is. I agree, Kosher style is a very loose term. I was simply trying to explain what my "mood" is and when I would prefer Eppes Essen to Hobby's. Nothing more and certainly not disparaging Hobby's pastrami sandwich. Thanks.

I didn't take anything away from Hobby's because it's not Kosher and certainly I wouldn't infer that Eppes Essen is. I agree, Kosher style is a very loose term. I was simply trying to explain what my "mood" is and when I would prefer Eppes Essen to Hobby's. Nothing more and certainly not disparaging Hobby's pastrami sandwich. Thanks.

Kosher-style is not just a loose term, it's a bad term. We shouldn't use it, period. It's as shitty a term as "Authentic" when describing a Chinese or Italian restaurant. I'm not railing on you personally but it's a bad practice and I think we should cease using it.

The only time "Kosher" should only be used in conjunction with restaurants is if the place is under supervision, period. There is no "Kosher-style" anything. I think it is accurate to say the food at Eppes Essen or Hobby's or Katz's is traditional Jewish Deli. Or that they have Ashkenaze dishes on the menu. Some may have more Ashkenaze choices than others. However none of those restaurants are "kosher" anything. Even if they use kosher provisions. It's not an indicator of quality either.

Jewish Deli as a term is also a trap because "Jewish" food is really anything now including Israeli stuff.

You can certainly say "I prefer one restaurant over another." Or "X's pastrami is better than Y because Z". That's opinion. That's fine. That's why we are here.

You can't say one restaurant is more "kosher-style" than another. However, If we're talking about restaurants under actual Kosher supervision, then you can certainly point out what hechsher one uses or who supervises. To orthodox Jews that makes a difference. To me, not so much :) I enjoy my treyf.

Sorry about the rant.

philosophically, I'd agree that "kosher style" has probably outlived its usefulness as a descriptor. practically speaking, the term is in such wide usage here in south Florida that it will never go away. restaurants routinely use it in their advertising to describe a wide range of mostly non-compliant practices, and maybe warn off observant religious folks. Several regional magazines and newspapers use the term to define categories, and the restaurants proudly advertise they're #2 in kosher style among 50 restaurants in Delray.

Kosher-style is not just a loose term, it's a bad term. We shouldn't use it, period. It's as shitty a term as "Authentic" when describing a Chinese or Italian restaurant. I'm not railing on you personally but it's a bad practice and I think we should cease using it.

The only time "Kosher" should only be used in conjunction with restaurants is if the place is under supervision, period. There is no "Kosher-style" anything. I think it is accurate to say the food at Eppes Essen or Hobby's or Katz's is traditional Jewish Deli. Or that they have Ashkenaze dishes on the menu. Some may have more Ashkenaze choices than others. However none of those restaurants are "kosher" anything. Even if they use kosher provisions. It's not an indicator of quality either.

Jewish Deli as a term is also a trap because "Jewish" food is really anything now including Israeli stuff.

You can certainly say "I prefer one restaurant over another." Or "X's pastrami is better than Y because Z". That's opinion. That's fine. That's why we are here.

You can't say one restaurant is more "kosher-style" than another. However, If we're talking about restaurants under actual Kosher supervision, then you can certainly point out what hechsher one uses or who supervises. To orthodox Jews that makes a difference. To me, not so much :) I enjoy my treyf.

Sorry about the rant.

I hear you, and believe me I am not looking to argue, nor be argumentative. However, I do want to say, first, it's a BB. That said, how important is it? It's great to come here and share opinions, dialogue, make recommendations, and so on. Like you said, "I prefer" and "I like" -- and that's what I so appreciate about this board. Second, when you have that, the board becomes a valuable resource, an asset, to the community. I have learned a great deal here at this BB and I have always tried to be an ambassador and have more people come here, contribute, share, learn, etc.

Be that as it may -- I do think that there is a certain dynamic, a certain number or type of thing, that can I personally think can "bring down" the quality, enjoyment, temperament, overall tone, temperature, stature of a community, or whatever you want to call it. One of those things in my opinion is what I call the authentic police -- every single opportunity, along comes a person who picks on, thread-jacks, and brings a discussion off-track to point out the minutia of authenticity. Example -- "there is no such thing as Northern Italian cuisine" or "That restaurant is misrepresenting their authenticity because those dishes don't exist in Southern Italy" and so on and so on. Great, today is Monday. Might be a fact -- but in reality, no one truly gives a small ball of lint. Now, that's not you. Most of us know who these people are, and for the most part, they are ignored.

The other people are what I call the "I am always right, and my sole job is prove everyone else wrong" -- and they do so at every possible moment. Again, not you, and fortunately, those few we had are not longer here, active, etc. Then you have the "Your opinion is wrong, and what I say is fact" -- so when I say I prefer Eppes Essen over Irving's, the theme of the reply will be along the lines of "The fact is, Irving's is without question better, and it isn't even up for discussion amongst people who actually know the facts" and so on.

We have other types that are disruptive to a community being as good as it can be. That said, I don't care if people use Kosher Style as a term or not. I won't lose sleep over it. It's not important -- except if someone is focused on a place being Kosher or not, and all of us know Eppes Essen and Hobby's are NOT kosher, LOL. I agree with that's why we are here, opinion, etc. -- absolutely. I didn't say one was more Kosher style than the other. I was talking about my mood, what I like in a meal, etc. -- and for me, Hobby's isn't that Kosher-style type deli -- and my definition of a Kosher-style type of deli is what foods I can get there and whether or not I'll enjoy it. That what's I was trying to say -- the kasha, the potato latkes, the egg barley, etc. Sure, Hobby's may have it. Great. You like it, you go. For me, my tastes, my likes, like I said -- if that's what I am looking for, then I'll go to Eppes Essen.

Pastrami -- I like them both. If I am in Newark, I am going to Hobby's. If I am anywhere near Eppes Essen, I am going! LOL.

No reason to be sorry. I just think that if you don't like a term, you don't have to use it. But it also doesn't always have to be an issue. If someone said one place is more Kosher-style than another, period. Sure, I get it. No such thing. But if he says because of the depth, scope, the extent of the "Jewish" style, or yes, "Kosher-style" dishes, I get where he's coming from. I can agree with that as I see more of it on the menu than the other place, etc. -- and if I don't agree, that's fine too. Content and context.

So, great discussion -- I am in Newark one day this week, and I am going to Hobby's. I am going to be in W. Caldwell on Friday and I already have my plans to go to Eppes Essen.

My reviews will be forthcoming...LOL.

philosophically, I'd agree that "kosher style" has probably outlived its usefulness as a descriptor. practically speaking, the term is in such wide usage here in south Florida that it will never go away. restaurants routinely use it in their advertising to describe a wide range of mostly non-compliant practices, and maybe warn off observant religious folks. Several regional magazines and newspapers use the term to define categories, and the restaurants proudly advertise they're #2 in kosher style among 50 restaurants in Delray.

Exactly. SouthFL is probably one of the worst offenders. I kind of hope it does go away as the older population dies out.

I would like to be #1 in Authentic Kosher-Style Northern Italian NYC-style Chinese American Cuisine. With a range of vegan and gluten-free options.

If it's authentic, I am in! How can I get a reservation? LOL.

Speaking of authentic -- I went to Joyce (Chinese) in River Edge. Now, being a complete newbie...question...for the most part, would that be considered "authentic" Szechuan cuisine? I truly don't want to start an argument here, and if the authentic police come along, I don't want to get caught up in the minutia of every single dish, ingredient, etc.

I've been told by numerous people -- chefs, a restaurant owner (who is Chinese), and a couple of Chinese people (who are actually from China) -- that this is "authentic" and while I didn't dig deep into what that means, one did comment that the dishes on the menu are dishes you would find in authentic Szechuan places and in China. Every dish? I have no idea, nor do I care. I do know one thing...they had a separate section of the menu called "American Chinese" (or something like that), LOL.