Joe Franklin

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/25/nyregion/joe-franklin-local-talk-show-pioneer-dies-at-88.html?hpw&rref=obituaries&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

I grew up with this guy. Parked in front of the B&W TV as a pre-schooler by my mom.

He came into and out of my life randomly during his late night show. Always a blast to watch particularly through the marijuana haze of my late teens/early twenties. The strangest mishmash of guests you'll ever see. For all the trite, schmaltzy stuff; he was original as hell. One of a kind. He was never ever rude.

• Like 11

My first job was at TV Guide, where I wrote blurbs for the listings of local programs, including Joe Franklin's. I can't believe that he was only 16 years older than I am. That would have made him 38-39 when I knew him (I talked to him every week and had the occasional lunch) and even then -- he was old.

I don't want to say anything that could be perceived as pejorative about someone I revere, but is it possible he faked his age?

He CAN'T be that young.

Here's a fun fact. Franklin was 6 months younger than Johnny Carson.

Carson always seemed 35 while Frankin always seemed 65.