Blu and Next Door Closing...

http://www.nj.com/food/index.ssf/2015/02/zod_arifai_blu_and_next_door_closing_montclair.html#incart_more_entertainment

Well it sounds like it's final and confirmed...straight from the source...

Zod will be leaving NJ and opening a new restaurant in NYC next year...

Planned closing for both is end of August...

• Like 8

I don't know the guy personally. I met him once and it was brief, but based upon my experience with his cooking, everything I read, the very limited amount of time I was around him, etc. -- I think this guy could be a superstar. Not that he isn't one already, but I mean a superstar at the next level. Just my opinion.

• 2 months later...

Well...Blu and Next Door are now closed. Both places are still furnished, equipped, etc. -- perhaps they each closed very recently. I don't know.

So...any new updates? I read various stories -- from closing Next Door and moving down Bloomfield Ave. into Bloomfield (I think) in order to be able to acquire a more cost effective liquor license, to trying to buy the building (where the two are presently located), to opening new locations of Next Door, to a newer, bigger Blu, possibly with a liquor license, and so on.

Anyway, the two are now closed. Anything new? NYC? Thank you in advance.

I heard somewhere that Zod already has a NY lease.

I'm surprised that the developer of the CentroVerde project (corner of Valley and Bloomfield) didn't grab Zod for his restaurant project. He has at least one liquor license in his back pocket.

I heard somewhere that Zod already has a NY lease.

I'm surprised that the developer of the CentroVerde project (corner of Valley and Bloomfield) didn't grab Zod for his restaurant project. He has at least one liquor license in his back pocket.

Interesting. Actually, very interesting.

I didn't hear anything like that, although I thought I read or heard -- somewhat recently, maybe over the winter, end of 2014; that Zod said he was going to close both, take some time off, spend some time in Europe, see what's new and exciting in the culinary world (and that kind of thing), and then come back and do something, probably in NYC.

Thanks Paul.

Blu and Next Door are open. They will close on August 30.

Really, that's great! I guess they are both closed on Monday nights. I am glad to hear. When I peaked inside both, they kind of looked closed -- a bit empty in places, mail on the floor, etc., LOL. Thanks for the heads up Rosie!!!

Will be very interesting to see Zod adapt to NYC. He is a NOTORIOUS micro manager. You can't do NYC numbers cooking and plating every entree. He has exceptional talent and I think would find real success in NYC. But he would have to develop a sense of trust in his staff he never really exhibited at Blu.