Chevalier at The Baccarat

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw that the Baccarat's bar is opening tonight. No date yet for the main restaurant, Chevalier. This is the place Charles Masson will be running, with Shea Gallante in the kitchen. Modern take on

I recall the good old days when I went to a restaurant for the food. Now I have all these other things to worry about to determine if I had a good time.

I've been to that downstairs bar twice, and both times got a seat with no trouble at all.   I went upstairs only once. The bar was such a madhouse that a guy in a suit wouldn't even let me in the do

I've dined at that bar twice. I agree that the food is terrific. There were no service hiccups.

But everyone passing through seemed either to be a hotel guest or an acquaintance of Charles Masson. Without Masson's rolodex, I wonder whether the hotel will generate enough business to keep a place like this in business.

I don't find it quite as useless is Sneakeater does. For me, there is always a use for a conveniently located restaurant that serves food this good. But he's certainly right that the tastemakers of the modern food media do not pass through a place like this.

The cocktails are the key. that, and the hotel is called the baccarat.

This is a very Chowhoundish notion — that naming a luxury hotel after a luxury product makes it actively worse.

The cocktails there are basically the standards, nothing wrong with how they are made, but it is not a "cocktail program" per se, and they are charging for the location, as you would more-or-less expect.

no its a "having even the smallest bit of good taste" notion.

Only a Russian Oligarch's mistress thinks naming a hotel after a brand of crystal is a good idea.

I wonder if the spa offers bacarrat vajazziling.

anal steaming over a big crystal bowl is more likely

The idea of giving a hotel a luxurious-sounding name has been around a long time — a lot longer than any of us. The Cadillac Hotel in Detroit, completed in 1924, would be another example that comes immediately to mind.

That's Detroit, though. The name is actually tied to the local culture.

Sure enough, but I don't think that changes the idea, which is to name the hotel for a product that the target audience will recognize as luxurious.

The idea of giving a hotel a luxurious-sounding name has been around a long time — a lot longer than any of us. The Cadillac Hotel in Detroit, completed in 1924, would be another example that comes immediately to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_la_Mothe_Cadillac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westin_Book_Cadillac_Hotel

In 1917, the brothers bought the old Cadillac Hotel at the northeast corner of Michigan and Washington Blvd

no its a "having even the smallest bit of good taste" notion.

Only a Russian Oligarch's mistress thinks naming a hotel after a brand of crystal is a good idea.

I wonder if the spa offers bacarrat vajazziling.

Goldest star.