Chevalier at The Baccarat

I'm not trying to pick on Louro out of spite - I had this example handy because I know we're all familiar with the restaurant, and I know first (well, second) hand how painful the postprocessing work on those photos was.

If it weren't for that obnoxious red lighting, I'm not sure I'd be able to identify that first photo as Chevalier.

I understand that. That's why I'm so shocked. I'm REALLY familiar with that room -- and that bar.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw that the Baccarat's bar is opening tonight. No date yet for the main restaurant, Chevalier. This is the place Charles Masson will be running, with Shea Gallante in the kitchen. Modern take on

I recall the good old days when I went to a restaurant for the food. Now I have all these other things to worry about to determine if I had a good time.

I've been to that downstairs bar twice, and both times got a seat with no trouble at all.   I went upstairs only once. The bar was such a madhouse that a guy in a suit wouldn't even let me in the do

I looked for pictures of Chevalier to post earlier this week, and none of them really looked like the place very much.

But I just wanted to emphasize, it's not old school, like the Carlyle, say.

Too late for such regrets now, but I think I'd have found myself at the bar more often if it did look like that. Louro was well-decorated, but there's a limit to what you can actually do in that space outside of a couple of heavily edited photos.

But I think most people well find the Chevalier dining room to be "nice". It's not stuffy or oppressive in any particular way. Most people aren't going to care that the lighting is awful the way I do.

I ask the question not in a leading way, but honestly; people ere are saying things about chevalier that they would never say about emp or jg. Why?

I thought I answered it -- not that I have the franchise on truth, but I am pretty sure the following is true.

JG would attract a lot of fairly similar complaints, if it opened brand new today in its current form.

EMP, in its current form, has attracted plenty of complaints, i.e., waiters who perform magic tricks, catering to the S. Pellegrino crowd,, etc.

I ask the question not in a leading way, but honestly; people ere are saying things about chevalier that they would never say about emp or jg. Why?

I think this was already answered. It's actually a bad comparison, because of the different price points, but open something which looks and feels like Jean-Georges in an apartment building or hotel today and see if everyone's cool with it.

ETA: Echoing Oakapple.

You could also think of Juni. If nobody liked the food as much as Chevalier, I don't think anyone thought it was less than good two to three star effort. But the setting and the style turns people off, even without a "Monsieur."

I remember years ago when online food wranglers boasted of taking long journeys and enduring discomfort, handwritten menus, and uncertain locations and opening hours in pursuit of deliciousness. Now we have to boast of enduring French accents and expensive cocktails.

But I think most people well find the Chevalier dining room to be "nice". It's not stuffy or oppressive in any particular way. Most people aren't going to care that the lighting is awful the way I do.

Agreed. I didn't have a problem with the light (and I could take photos) but maybe we were in different sections.

Another point about EMP: unlike JG, it didn't open as a four-star restaurant out of the gate. It opened as a two-star, and very gradually added stuff until it became practically unrecognizable from where it started.

I'm pretty sure that if MF had existed when EMP opened, the reaction then would have been a collective "meh!"

I remember years ago when online food wranglers boasted of taking long journeys and enduring discomfort, handwritten menus, and uncertain locations and opening hours in pursuit of deliciousness.

Yes: you earned a badge of honor to have done so. You weren't really serious if you had not.

But those places didn't charge $200 a head (including drinks, tap, and tip).

This is absolutely true, but they attracted accolades far in excess of their actual merit, and the inconveniences Wilfrid wrote about had a certain hidden "cost", even if that cost was non-monetary.

Table for four opened up, and I booked it. I hope it's not too warm for a suit next week. Do I even own a summer suit? Pray for Neocon.

Edited: these forums don't display emoji!