Chevalier at The Baccarat

I know, I had to manually add :+1: as an emoticon, because the unicode emoji didn't work. I blame Orik.

I don't know whether to be more amused by the "roasted beets salad with fromage", or by Gotham's inability to spell Shea Gallante's name.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw that the Baccarat's bar is opening tonight. No date yet for the main restaurant, Chevalier. This is the place Charles Masson will be running, with Shea Gallante in the kitchen. Modern take on

I recall the good old days when I went to a restaurant for the food. Now I have all these other things to worry about to determine if I had a good time.

I've been to that downstairs bar twice, and both times got a seat with no trouble at all.   I went upstairs only once. The bar was such a madhouse that a guy in a suit wouldn't even let me in the do

I haven't read the links Neocon posted -- I'm much too drunk from a meal at Atera that I will post a rave about when I'm no longer so drunk -- but I urge him to remember that the food at Chevalier is really excellent, once you get past all the offensive cultural signifiers.

Although this meal at Atera was almost as culturally, um, interesting as a meal at Chevalier.

The problem -- and I'll bet this the one place where Neocon and I even agree -- is the concentration of wealth in the wrong places.

....the food at Chevalier is really excellent, once you get past all the offensive cultural signifiers.

For the most part, those signifiers offend only those whom they were meant to offend (i.e., the people who wouldn't go anyway). I realize that you are one of the exceptions.

Table for four opened up, and I booked it. I hope it's not too warm for a suit next week. Do I even own a summer suit? Pray for Neocon.

Edited: these forums don't display emoji!

I can post emoji if I'm on my phone. (Mouthfuls displays very well on an iPhone, incidentally.)

I know, I had to manually add :+1: as an emoticon, because the unicode emoji didn't work. I blame Orik.

I don't know whether to be more amused by the "roasted beets salad with fromage", or by Gotham's inability to spell Shea Gallante's name.

(Not for the first time:) At least they don't think he's a woman. #MichelinNYC

But those places didn't charge $200 a head (including drinks, tap, and tip).

Of course not. They served arepas.

Right. Taking an hourlong subway ride (reading a good book on the way) and spending a dollar or two on arepas is fun.

Repeatedly spending $200 on an experience you don't enjoy in order to eat good food is nuts.

ETA -- Have to do it once, though!

A post by Mongo elsewhere just reminded me that I referred to Masson as "Monsieur Masson." As in (to the receptionist) "Yes, Monsieur Masson is already helping me." So I spoke French to the restaurant.

Well, what? Charlie?

Maybe Taion actually overheard a sophisticated cosmopolitan guest like me. :cool:

Table for four opened up, and I booked it. I hope it's not too warm for a suit next week. Do I even own a summer suit? Pray for Neocon.

Edited: these forums don't display emoji!

Chevalier does not require jackets. Most of the men were wearing one which I think is a spillover from the fact that La Grenouille does require it, many of those diners dine there, and they're used to dressing that way when they dine out. Michael, however, did not wear one and felt totally comfortable.

Although this meal at Atera was almost as culturally, um, interesting as a meal at Chevalier.

The problem -- and I'll bet this the one place where Neocon and I even agree -- is the concentration of wealth in the wrong places.

Sneak and I can probably agree that wealth should be concentrated with us.

Hollywood has taught me that anyone who was born speaking French must still address Anglophones as Madame / Monsieur, especially if money, sex, or power are involved.