Chevalier at The Baccarat

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw that the Baccarat's bar is opening tonight. No date yet for the main restaurant, Chevalier. This is the place Charles Masson will be running, with Shea Gallante in the kitchen. Modern take on

I recall the good old days when I went to a restaurant for the food. Now I have all these other things to worry about to determine if I had a good time.

I've been to that downstairs bar twice, and both times got a seat with no trouble at all.   I went upstairs only once. The bar was such a madhouse that a guy in a suit wouldn't even let me in the do

No, the modern has a way higher q score than you'd expect. And Meyer is very attuned to keeping it that way.

Remember, I'm not judging what chevalier is, I'm judging the messages it's sending out. What it is when you're at the table, i assume is quite good and quite pleasant.

Remember, I'm not judging what chevalier is, I'm judging the messages it's sending out.

Yes, I posted a list of those earlier.

- The cocktails are a few bucks over priced.

- Someone spoke French to Taion.

plus now

- Gosh, it's in Conde Nast Traveler like Jean Georges, Marea, and--oh dear--The Modern.

You're looking for problems, and you're even stooping to anonymous Yelp reviews which don't even mention a single dish.

Remember, I'm not judging what chevalier is, I'm judging the messages it's sending out.

But the messages it's sending to H.K. on Yelp, not to me or Oakie or Taion.

I don't know what that means but you guys actually ate there. Te question is: what does it take for this to get on the list of the rainmaker partners? Of the friends I have in hospitality? Of the junior associate who wants to impress a date and reads eater (he's going to emp or new ko)? Of the guy who is into food but doesn't read mff? This is a marketing issue. If you think gallante crushing it is enough, you are wrong.

Eta: read the copy. Just read it. Baccarat crystal, everywhere...

All it should take for anyone who cares about food rather than a scene is Sneak's review. What did he say about the food? Not, not remotely that it's "quite good and quite pleasant." No:

The food is outstanding. This was one of the best restaurant meals I've had in ages....(T)he food ...is fantastic...

And he's right.

By all means go to Rebelle or La Gamelle if you're scared of people in suits who might say "Bonjour."

ETA: Cross-posted, but let's not downgrade it speculatively to "quite pleasant."

The question here is not whether shae gallante is a good chef. Its just that its probably not a good idea for a restaurant to sell the cultural equivalent of eating dinner on an upside down stool.

Just read it. Baccarat crystal, everywhere...

The horrors!!! Where's AvroKO and Edison bulbs when you need them?

If you can build a successful restaurant concept on baccarat, grey good, "luxuriousness" and "Bon soir", you have chosen the wrong career.

Just read it. Baccarat crystal, everywhere...

The horrors!!! Where's AvroKO and Edison bulbs when you need them?

If you can build a successful restaurant concept on baccarat, grey good, "luxuriousness" and "Bon soir", you have chosen the wrong career.

I think those concerns are crazily over-blown, although you are living proof that even knowledgeable people can be fooled by them.

The question here is not whether shae gallante is a good chef. Its just that its probably not a good idea for a restaurant to sell the cultural equivalent of eating dinner on an upside down stool.

As you know — although it might get lost in the present discussion — I am not predicting success for this restaurant, much as I wish it to be otherwise.

But the hotel was called "Baccarat" before Masson and Gallante were hired. What you are really saying is that they shouldn't have built the hotel.

The difference between Chevalier and Marea, The Modern, etc, being just obvious.