Chevalier at The Baccarat

Ah, yes, the card trick would be rather visible...

I certainly don't envy Sneak et al having to tidy up this thread someday.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw that the Baccarat's bar is opening tonight. No date yet for the main restaurant, Chevalier. This is the place Charles Masson will be running, with Shea Gallante in the kitchen. Modern take on

I recall the good old days when I went to a restaurant for the food. Now I have all these other things to worry about to determine if I had a good time.

I've been to that downstairs bar twice, and both times got a seat with no trouble at all.   I went upstairs only once. The bar was such a madhouse that a guy in a suit wouldn't even let me in the do

@Orik: Is your observation that the main factor for really ambitious restaurants is how well they can draw the SP crowd these days?

My observation is they have two paths they can walk:

1. SP - this is very appealing (highly predictable revenues, high demand, simple processes, formulaic ways to attract the crowd) and will continue to be so as the secular trend in tourist/local spending ratio continues (and will continue for at least 5 more years if hotel industry deals are any indication).

2. Club-like, servicing politicos, the very rich but reasonably well-behaved, and occasionally allowing an outsider in on a probationary basis - this is the more traditional model in Japan, France, and even nyc to a degree. It's still doable but isn't growing and you can see the strain as they have to compete with SP for employees, ingredients, real-estate, etc. (not to mention it requires a certain set of assumptions about life that the young generation doesn't seem to necessarily share)

2. Club-like, servicing politicos, the very rich but reasonably well-behaved, and occasionally allowing an outsider in on a probationary basis - this is the more traditional model in Japan, France, and even nyc to a degree. It's still doable but isn't growing and you can see the strain as they have to compete with SP for employees, ingredients, real-estate, etc. (not to mention it requires a certain set of assumptions about life that the young generation doesn't seem to necessarily share)

On the French clubs, based on a terribly small sample size:

L'Arpege is still clearly and obviously a club, with a peppering of under 40s of French and tourist persuasions availing themselves of the lunch menu.

L'Ambroisie is still clearly a club as well, but the peppering is of people Sneak would hate which, amazingly, operated much to our benefit, because I don't get the impression that L'Ambroisie liked them much either.

L'Ambroisie is still like this? My sole meal there was originally a lunch [which would have been breakfast by my body clock] that only got upgraded to dinner the day before the reservation. Should unwashed Yanks even bother?

• Like 1

L'Ambroisie isn't also serving plenty of outsiders every day?

Two top 2008 news events (1) financial crisis (2) outsiders allowed at dinner :D

At least the quants did one good thing that year.

L'Ambroisie is still like this? My sole meal there was originally a lunch [which would have been breakfast by my body clock] that only got upgraded to dinner the day before the reservation. Should unwashed Yanks even bother?

Plenty of yanks there last week at dinner.

At an Italian restaurant last night, I was greeted with Buona sera. The waiter said prego multiple times and grazie at the end. I am pretty sure they sprinkled in a madame in error, when serving my wife the appetizer.

Should I have been offended?