Chevalier at The Baccarat

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw that the Baccarat's bar is opening tonight. No date yet for the main restaurant, Chevalier. This is the place Charles Masson will be running, with Shea Gallante in the kitchen. Modern take on

I recall the good old days when I went to a restaurant for the food. Now I have all these other things to worry about to determine if I had a good time.

I've been to that downstairs bar twice, and both times got a seat with no trouble at all.   I went upstairs only once. The bar was such a madhouse that a guy in a suit wouldn't even let me in the do

I thought it was "better than it had to be," too.

BUT:

(1) "Better than it had to be" implies that the food didn't have to be very good for the restaurant to still succeed at what it was aiming to do -- which is another way of saying the food is incidental; and

(2) Just as with Chevalier (although to a much lesser extent), I found the non-food aspects of the restaurant (which, remember, were paramount -- the food being incidental) annoying enough to make me not want to return, despite the quality of the food.

...penguin service at Del Posto....

That service came in for a lot of criticism when the place opened. It was not immediately adored.

As did the decor, and the piano player.

(My recollection is that Del Posto was mostly ridiculed upon opening.)

I don't understand how there can be "a restaurant where the food is only 'incidental'"--isn't providing food the point of a restaurant? A bar, a lounge, a concert venue, a roller rink, sure, the food could be incidental. But a restaurant exists to serve food to people, no?

I don't understand how there can be "a restaurant where the food is only 'incidental'"--isn't providing food the point of a restaurant? A bar, a lounge, a concert venue, a roller rink, sure, the food could be incidental. But a restaurant exists to serve food to people, no?

Restaurants can also primarily be social places. Take schillers. I loved schillers but one of the best things about schillers was that the good wasn't good or bad enough to get in the way of what you were doing there to begin with.

• Like 1

As the argument goes, some restaurants are really social clubs. People go there to party, not because the food is so great.

Nevertheless Taavo Somer's restaurants are clearly not really our sorts of restaurants. If they're good, it's incidental.

I chose Le Turtle, because Adrian idolizes Taavo Somer, while slamming Chevalier despite never having dined there.

Personally, I think Somer is a poseur, but Adrian keeps telling me I'm wrong.

They have the whole "temple of gastronomy" thing going on. Chevalier doesn't really.

Right. At Chevalier -- unlike GK, The Modern, LeB, and (even) Daniel -- the food seems incidental.

Has anyone had the food at The Modern recently?

The analogy would be me complaining about the rituals of Carnegie Hall, while happily attending the same programs at Alice Tully Hall (you may have better examples, but you see what I mean).

No, because I could see that.

But to me, this is more like not liking Generation X (although, to be honest, I kind of did like Gen X) while liking Chelsea (yeah, those examples weren't chosen at random).

Misunderstanding I suspect because I have no idea what difference there might be between those venues. The interchangeability was my point (which is why you need to supply a better example!).