Sign in to follow this  
Sneakeater

Noreetuh

Yeah, but my question was: why don't people look at a $50 entree and say, okay that's three cocktails or three glasses of wine, fair enough?

The general reaction to a $46 share of duck at Vaucluse was very negative.

Re: Vaucluse: maybe because it's not $46, but $92, because you can't order it for one (unless I've been reading everything wrong). A $92 entree is pricey, esp. when it's a a plate with as little food as has been pictured.

And your first point: When I look at the total bill, I pretty much expect to pay the equivalent of three dinners' worth of food for the two of us when factoring in drinks/wine. But I don't reverse engineer it to say a $50 entree is three cocktails or three glasses of wine because we wouldn't give up an entree in order to order beverages like that. Then again, we're cheap, and trying to live on what is more and more a fairly small fixed income.

Yeah, but my question was: why don't people look at a $50 entree and say, okay that's three cocktails or three glasses of wine, fair enough?

I agree. I think this probably pushes high end restaurants towards the tasting or pf format at the expense of the carte.

Because the food isn't getting us to an altered state of consciousness, which we'll pay more for?

I guess I should mention that my last dinner there, a few nights ago, may have been the best yet. I wouldn't say the restaurant is evolving; just that the cooking is getting even surer.

COMP DISCLOSURE: Food. Wine. Lots of both.

Good thing I drank this the last two times I was at Noreetuh.

Cuz there isn't going to be any left for long now.

I remember finding an affordable half bottle of old Margaux (would have to look up the year) at Veritas.

What did you think about it? I had it once and it was sort of mediocre, maybe a bit over the hill, but also not particularly more expensive than good Rioja with similar age...

What did you think about it? I had it once and it was sort of mediocre, maybe a bit over the hill, but also not particularly more expensive than good Rioja with similar age...

I liked it a lot.

Remember, unlike you, I (a) like Bordeaux and (b) particularly like Bordeaux that most would consider over-the-hill.

This still had some fruit (not a whole lot), but it flattened and focused into that place where even a fairly modest wine seems to become profound. (It was not, I hasten to admit, like a really really great highly aged Bordeaux.) And lots of secondary flavors had popped up: not just tobacco and leather, but mushrooms.

So, no, it wasn't overwhelming great. It was just overwhelmingly very very good. For, as you said, the price of an aged Rioja (which, to me, are possibly the greatest values in all of wine). Except it wasn't Rioja -- it was the usually extremely overpriced Bordeaux.

Butt isn't their wine list 80 per cent of the point of Noreetuh?

Closed monday, no corkage sunday... better get drinking that wine list...