Sexual harassment and the restaurant industry

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The NY Times has an op-ed today by Brittany Bronson, a self described cocktail waitress, university instructor and feminist. In Las Vegas.   Ms Bronson discusses the trade offs she makes every day f

Remember the Asian (Japanese?) client who refused to clean up (literally) and forced Molly to do what she did not want to? To me, that counts as harassment, even in a job like that. I brought it up be

I would bet most of us are quite pleased we aren't famous enough to get into trouble now for stuff we did in the past.

• 9 months later...

This stuff is just so dismal. People have personalities,good,bad, and ugly, which are exaservated under pressure. They might be good cooks, but lousy leaders, or need the time and self awareness to learn to be leaders. Too easy to judge from the outside...Who knows if they can really change, what else that they should do with their lives if run out of town.

This stuff is just so dismal. People have personalities,good,bad, and ugly, which are exaservated under pressure. They might be good cooks, but lousy leaders, or need the time and self awareness to learn to be leaders. Too easy to judge from the outside...Who knows if they can really change, what else that they should do with their lives if run out of town.

Well said.    There are competent managers and there are doers, seldom in the same package.   

true. of course, if one really wants to be a boss or a leader, one probably should also be prepared to step up and lead. she needs to step up for turning a blind eye, which she clearly did, in favor of her success over the dignity and safety of her female staff. i also recognize that she was being bullied, too

true. of course, if one really wants to be a boss or a leader, one probably should also be prepared to step up and lead. she needs to step up for turning a blind eye, which she clearly did, in favor of her success over the dignity and safety of her female staff. i also recognize that she was being bullied, too

I don't think that young cooks thrust into the position of heading a kitchen really know what they are getting into a lot of the time, especially when they and their partners decide to open one restaurant after the other, along with the attendant hiring, firing,and babysitting issues....if only it was about just making good food...