• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did not expect to be posting this today. Aged 47, and a Mouthfuls member. Found dead in a Chicago hotel en route to the James Beard awards.

A.J. Liebling really built his entire social life around hanging out with chefs and food writers?

Josh was a lover of food, literature, ladies, drink, excess. He was a genuine glutton. He also mentored young writers, cooks and foodsters. He shined a light on people that deserved it when he could.

Miss A Posted this:

It was a decade ago when I first spoke with Josh Ozersky.
Supper clubs were just starting to pop up around NYC and he wanted to talk to us about Bite Club. Enthused and super supportive of our venture, he wrote a couple pieces about us on his Grub Street blog and the mayhem that ensued was pure and fabulous raucous. Although controversial at best, he did more for me and Daniel - and our little passion project - then I ever could have imagined. RIP, and with your belly always full, Josh.

I've followed his career since his "Mr. Cutlets" days. I've admired and envied his success in turning his obsession into a popular AND profitable fatty bully pulpit.

Half the time, I didn't enjoy my hobbyish, scattered-over-many-years 15 minutes of food-media fame, for which I was rewarded with a print article here, a TV appearance there, some radio, and blood cholesterol levels briefly as bad as Ozersky's. When I tried to do what he did, it was stressful and never earned me a dime. But I bet that he loved his life.

In his memory I vow, from now on, to eat one fresh vegetable per day, maybe even more than one.

Josh was a lover of food, literature, ladies, drink, excess. He was a genuine glutton. He also mentored young writers, cooks and foodsters. He shined a light on people that deserved it when he could. He came and cooked at my wedding through a hurricane. He was frustrating, loveable and caring. He could also write beautifully when he tried. A complicated man with a huge heart and zeal. I miss him.

• Like 1

Purely as a footnote, Platt still needs better editing:

But I also think that he was the closest thing to a real Liebling-esque figure in this increasingly gaseous world of food writing that we have. Like Liebling, he was an outsider and a glutton who loved sports. The only difference — well, of course, there were a lot of differences — was that Leibling wrote about that world, while Josh actually lived in it.

Aside from the spelling, does he really mean to say that Liebling was not a glutton and observed the sports world from a distance? Or what?

Nice try guys, but it doesn't make sense in Mongo's interprettion ("this increasingly gaseous world of food writing that we have...was that Leibling wrote about that world"--no, Liebling didn't) or even more charitably interpreted as a world of chefs and food writers. Liebling writes about hanging out with chefs; but who would the food writers be? There were very few back in those days. Maybe Waverley Root? Well, Liebling was a close friend of Root.

It just doesn't stand up to any examination, and I'm sure we've already spent more time on it than Platt did.