Sign in to follow this  
splinky

Costco Meat

I've been using fleisher's since we moved and I'm pretty happy with it, I think the pork at the meat hook is slightly better but the fleisher's stuff is still pretty good.

I used green grape when we lived in fort greene. they got high quality meat but the prices are high (lamb is 150% of the meathook) and the butchering was often inept.

• Like 3

Northside: Devon Avenue Meats

Southside: just about any butcher in Canaryville.

Edit to add: West Loop = Fulton Market.

From what I understand Costco 'tenderizes' their meet via machinery.

Years ago they did not practice this and their meat was of fair quality, now, the only thing I will buy on occasion (when I am feeling lazy) are their rotisserie chickens.

Besides that, we get all of our meat from Cumbrae's (a local butcher that owns their own farms and ages their meats).

The Cumbrae's team has a very effective website. Extremely engaging.

http://www.cumbraes.com/

Cumbraes may be the best retail butcher in North America. Their products are remarkable.

I share this sentiment.

I have yet to have any meat on this Continent that comes close.

The flavour profile is so amazing, as is the fat content! ;)

• Like 1

From what I understand Costco 'tenderizes' their meet via machinery.

Years ago they did not practice this and their meat was of fair quality...

interesting timing...

USDA rules will require safety labels on tenderized beef

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102676701

WASHINGTON (AP) — The government will soon require labels on packages of beef tenderized by machines so shoppers know to cook it thoroughly.

The Agriculture Department said Wednesday the labels will be required starting in May 2016. Mechanically tenderized meat is poked with needles or blades to make it tender, a process that can transfer bacteria like E. coli or salmonella from the outside of the cut to the inside. Since many people eat cuts of beef that aren't fully cooked in the center, that bacteria can pose a safety hazard

not meat but i recently bought what turned out to be surprisingly good mussels from costco. farmed, canadian. a 5.5 lb bag, of course, which meant we ate a lot of mussels this week. including this for dinner last night.

musselspasta1.jpg

We haven't because our freezers are too full. We need to eat more. :) I like that price too. They looked good and were trimmed to (mostly) an even thickness. We plan on buying two this week to start the curing process and will cold-smoke them either next Sunday or sometime the weekend after. The people we've given it to have raved about it and they want more so I think we can make some without needing room in our freezer. I have to admit that the fresh smokiness and the feathery crunch are very good qualities in homemade bacon.

yeah, i was tempted by the pork belly at our local costco too last weekend. also tempted each time by the whole, halal lamb but sanity always prevails.

I was "allowed" :) to pick one up today. It's 9.5 lbs. One thing I didn't notice yesterday is they come skinless. An added perk if you don't like it on your bacon.

I don't do pork or beef at Costco altho our Costco frequently has beef marked Prime...but there is Prime and there is Prime.

I do really prefer the New Zealand racks of lamb that I buy at Costco to those I pay almost twice for from my carriage trade butcher. The local lamb, albeti well grown, is killed later than the New Zealand lamb, and I prefer teeny, tiny lollipop chops. Plus they are tender as love and have a gentle lamb flavor. I also buy racks of lamb at Trader Joe's, the same young kill.

My husband frequently recounts our being at the Wednesday lamb market in Espelette in France's Pay Basque. Trucks of lambs hauled down from the hills, small as cats, tossed from seller to buyer like bean-bags. One week before Easter. Now that's lamb.

One thing I didn't notice yesterday is they come skinless.

That's funny. I always go out of my way to look for skin on my bellies, blade roasts, etc.

Today Costco had beautiful looking US Prime Tomahawk steaks @ $12.99/lb. About 2" thick, nicely marbled and beautifully Frenched.