gluing a teapot lid back together

so, i purchased an old hall teapot from a retiring colleague. probably from the 1920s or 1930s, she said. predictably it only lasted a month in our house. this morning our cleaning lady dropped the lid on the floor and three small pieces broke off fairly cleanly. it looks like it should be possible to glue them back together more or less seamlessly. but with what?

the web is full of conflicting advice on glues to use. anyone have any firsthand experience with this? it would have to be a glue that would be able to withstand regular exposure to heat/steam and it would obviously have to be food-safe once cured.

• Like 7

I've glued coffee mugs and a sugar bowl lid back together but come to think of it, that was a handle and the lid.

Krazy Glue claims that it's non toxic when cured.

I had an ER Dr. tell me to use Krazy Glue for a cut on my finger. Worked quite nicely and saved me having to wait another hour to for what probably would've been a couple, three stitches :ph43r:.

My parents also relied on Duco Cement for fixing plates, etc. And while they're both dead, it wasn't the Duco Cement that killed them.

Oh, right, I've also used Krazy Glue. And that didn't kill me, either. Trust me, I am alive. How do I know that you are?

A teapot cover doesn't really come in contact with the food; a tiny bit of evaporated water, but not really food. Brewing tea is not cooking. Usually, if I break something I cook in, it's not salvageable anyway, too many shards. So no, I don't glue together things I cook in. The crack in my Le Creuset dutch oven (from when Paul dropped it) seems to have healed itself, probably by a buildup of rust.

Jeez, mongo, you're as bad as the people who think that when the "Best by" date has passed, you have to throw out the package of food. That would make you a dupe of Big Food. Sheesh.

Jeez, mongo, you're as bad as the people who think that when the "Best by" date has passed, you have to throw out the package of food. That would make you a dupe of Big Food. Sheesh.

yes, this is exactly the same thing.

• Like 1