Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

NYC Butchers

The M9 will take you door to door to Essex Street market, then on to Chinatown. There's convenient.

• Like 2

I like the butcher at Essex St. market (actually, the fish guys aren't bad either)...I just didn't know how convenient it might be.

The butcher doesn't have anything approaching high-end, but I've had good luck with pork butts, skirt steaks, and Bobo poultry. He also carries goat, and nice looking oxtail - the perfect summer meat.

The fish guy to the south gets some local stuff (porgy, flounder, mackerel, clams, etc.), and seems to actually know how to cover and ice fish.

Right, Luis has no high end stuff, but I've been buying pork, goat, morcilla there for years. And there are all the fish, bread and cheese options. Once you get away from proximity and talk about convenience, it may or may not be useful for AB.

Right, Luis has no high end stuff, but I've been buying pork, goat, morcilla there for years. And there are all the fish, bread and cheese options. Once you get away from proximity and talk about convenience, it may or may not be useful for AB.

It's certainly not bad (Essex St. Market) for some one-stop shopping. Decent produce, even.

They've already eaten the nanny. That's why they have to shop.

Sounds like a Monty Python bit.

They're great for killing time. And for seeing what's in the places you're passing through but would never stop in.

I once took the bus (3 of them, at least) home from high school--68th and Lex on the Upper East Side to 158th Street in Flushing. It took many hours.

M9 from 23rd Street to Essex/Delancey is about 20 minutes. Takes Ave C all the way to Houston; no traffic, really.

Weekend bus trips aren't my idea of a good time. If I'm going to travel I can use pino, Florence or jpb.

I usually feel the same way but sometimes there can be exceptions. On the "What apps are you using" thread I posted about one that makes the process considerably less painful -

NYC MTA Bus Tracker – A few years ago the MTA equipped all its buses with transponders. This app taps into that. You enter in the bus number (M23, B63, etc.) and the the phone prompts you to pick the direction (heading to Bay Ridge or heading to downtown Brooklyn.) The app then tells you how far the nearest bus is. There’s also a neat online map showing the bus location which is updated in real time. The app is quite accurate. I wish they had something like this for subways.

But you do have a car.

And that app is very good. Only had one bus vanish from it like the Bermuda Triangle in many uses.

But you do have a car.

And that app is very good. Only had one bus vanish from it like the Bermuda Triangle in many uses.

I used buses a lot last winter when my car was snowed in. I also occasionally use a bus when I don't want to lose a prize parking spot in front of my building. Of course, these are all short trips of less than 15 minutes.

Knowing when bus will arrive makes a huge difference - it removes the uncertainty.