Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

NYC Butchers

I assume you did HVFG?

The veal trotter is I'm afraid a total shit show. You will def need to special order it. But given that I'd guess any real butcher can get it.

(I assume you need the hoof attached and not just a shank?)

the recipe says to only use the trotter and have the butcher cut off the shank. ottomanelli said they have frozen ones but they will try to order a fresh one. the butchers I usually use (fleishers and the meat hook) don't carry veal and staubitz said no.

the recipe says that veal works better, so I'll use frozen veal instead of fresh pig.

I think I'm going to buy directly from the hvfg website.

Luis's in Essex Street market always has cow's feet. How old the cows are, I don't know. I suppose a veal foot is more specialized?

size is actually an issue because I don't want to have to buy a new dutch oven on top of everything else.

also the recipe says to use pig if veal is unavailable so I assume cows feet sour with age.

size is actually an issue because I don't want to have to buy a new dutch oven on top of everything else.

Chop them up. Wait, don't tell me you need to buy a chopper. :D

I have a chopper.

I think it's mostly for the gelatin but the meat gets mixed in with the lamb's neck it's cooked with.

I'd be amazed if freezing harmed trotters to the extent that anyone could tell a difference in what I assume is a long-braised dish.

ETA: Oh, you must be talking about the foie. Dunno. (Maybe not)