Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

NYC Butchers

hudson valley said they couldn't sell at the greenmarket so I called around a little and citarella sold me foie for less it would have cost at the meat hook or the hvfg website.

I got the veal trotter at ottomanelli and I don't think it hurt the dish.

people here probably already know this but buon italia has good pricing on truffles. citarella had black truffles for 250 an ounce, buon italia had white for 205 and black for 60.

Picked up two items from Fleischer's that were both flat out fantastic. It was going to be a Sunday dinner for 8 but they only had one smallish bone in leg of lamb that was a little over 4 lbs. So decided to go with Lamb Two Ways and supplemented the leg with their Lamb Sausage. Roasted the leg and pan seared the sausages and finished them in the oven for a few minutes. Highly recommended.

I find the gap between the quality of the pork and beef at the park slope fleischer’s really frustrating. the pork chops we had for dinner tonight were really nice and fairly priced, and I don’t think any of the beef I’ve bought there has been really nice or fairly priced. the lamb is closer to the pork, but we don’t buy it as much. the current set of staff does seem less miserable than usual.

Won't there always be inconsistent meat at Fleischers because they use different farms at different times, most with different feed, genes, etc.

the park slope fleischers hasn’t had pork shoulder the last two times I’ve gone, so I went to paisonos for the pork shoulder and belly I use in the sausage that’s a staple around here. both were markedly less fatty than what I usually get from fleishers, so much so that my kids (who make the sausage with me) were upset about it. I have a feeling that the member closest to me already knows this, but if you’re looking for lean pork shoulder head to paisanos.

my long standing frustration with fleisher’s beef sent me to union market, and now I have a couple pounds of dry, flavorless chuck to get through this week.

the most interesting thing about my trip to paisanos was seeing that they have a5 wagyu that comes in the same plastic wrapping that the ribeye the japan premium beef counter in industry city does. does anyone here have any experience of either place? I have a friend who buys a lot of wagyu online who seemed unimpressed, but the stuff he buys is a lot more expensive.

Pino's is really the simple solution to all your retail beef needs, probably pork too. Not in your neighborhood but there's just nothing comparable. 

• Like 1

Pino's is really the simple solution to all your retail beef needs, probably pork too. Not in your neighborhood but there's just nothing comparable. 

Or Florence (who takes cards and is closer to a major Subway node, but it's a bit more expensive especially on non-beef)

Agree with both of these 100%.  God, if Pino's closes, I'd be depressed.

I've heard some very good things about a few web-based purveyors (Snake River, Flannery Beef) but talk about paying a premium.