• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to add a vote for an old-skool place. On Sullivan, just south of Houston St., lives Pino's Prime Meats...     Today, I got me some beautiful neck and shoulder of this Colorado lamb.   N

The M9 will take you door to door to Essex Street market, then on to Chinatown. There's convenient.

Pino's is the best. I have been a customer for many years. I also like Florence Meat Market on Jones.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Orik said:

Of course you could be a brain in a vat part of a huge computer simulation and when you get run over it's just reset to give you another chance.

Brain in a vat. Good old undergraduate days. ❤️

52 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Brain in a vat. Good old undergraduate days. ❤️

When I try to explain to someone that the "simulation hypothesis" is just good old Cartesian doubt for techies I usually follow up with "I know you're going to explain to me how it's different because I have access to the debug console"

• 3 weeks later...

At my new local butcher.

ME:  Can I reserve a brisket for the last week of March?

BUTCHER:  Sure!

ME:  Can I just get the deckle?

[PAUSE]

BUTCHER:  What's the deckle?

15 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

At my new local butcher.

ME:  Can I reserve a brisket for the last week of March?

ME:  Can I just get the deckle?

[PAUSE]

BUTCHER:  What's the deckle?

So clearly not just new to you but *new*.

I mean, Bryan Fucking Flannery says on his website that he recently learned that what he used to call an "English Cut" short rib is "now" called "flanken", and that he "went down a Google rabbit hole" to learn that the term originated with Eastern European Jews.

On 3/10/2021 at 6:22 AM, Sneakeater said:

No this guy worked for years at I think Meat Hook and other places.  Just um WASPy.

Butchering is perhaps one of the most culturally defined crafts.    I have (almost) given up trying to teach my several guys French meat divisions.     I take them photos and they stare at me.  Of course, they'd  have to cut an entire quarter in context.

6 hours ago, voyager said:

Butchering is perhaps one of the most culturally defined crafts.    I have (almost) given up trying to teach my several guys French meat divisions.     I take them photos and they stare at me.  Of course, they'd  have to cut an entire quarter in context.

Last week, I taught a young guy behind the counter at the  "Italian" butcher in Eataly how to cut calves liver for fegato alla veneziana.  Before instruction began,  I had to describe the dish, which was new to him.

• Like 1
On 3/10/2021 at 9:26 AM, Sneakeater said:

I mean, Bryan Fucking Flannery says on his website that he recently learned that what he used to call an "English Cut" short rib is "now" called "flanken", and that he "went down a Google rabbit hole" to learn that the term originated with Eastern European Jews.

Is this right?  I always thought English cut was parallel to the bone, squarish, one bone per piece, with a big cap of meat.  

Flannery says that English Cut USED TO be across the bone but NOW is parallel, and that what USED TO be called English Cut has only recently started be known by the mysterious name “flanken”.