Sign in to follow this  
Wilfrid

Faro

No, I assumed the name was "Farro" -- and was surprised when your review was posted to see that it wasn't. (Chambo notwithstanding, I knew what "Faro" meant -- I just assumed a restaurant that emphasizes grains would use the name referring to one.)

Of course, if I had gone to the actual restaurant (rather than just quickly reading about it in Eater and/or FloFab), it obviously would have sunk in that they were using the lighthouse spelling (although I, too probably would have assumed it was what we might charitably call a typo).

If you heard the name instead of seeing it written, that's understandable. I think I'd have thought the same. It's definitely a confusing name, I just think it's a stretch to believe that it was meant to be named after the grain, but they couldn't spell it. (ETA: I admit, I also think it's yet another example of Sietsema not bothing to check something.)

[cross posted before you added the last bit--exactly right]

Certainly if they told people it was Greek for lighthouse, that would be wrong.

He didn't really think that spelling was serious.

Fuck me.

Maybe he thinks pherry is Greek for wheat.

Maybe he thinks pherry is Greek for wheat.

I'm trying to save you from yourselves.

A possibly better choice for "Intentional Misspelling in a Restaurant Name" would be Joe & Misses Doe. (Not to be confused with the now-closed Joe Dough, although the miscreants are the same.)

And I was waiting for someone to bring up the pronunciation question.

I was going to make a Faro Cross the Mersey joke, but didn't think anyone would get it. That famous song about the Birkenhead lighthouse.

A possibly better choice for "Intentional Misspelling in a Restaurant Name" would be Joe & Misses Doe. (Not to be confused with the now-closed Joe Dough, although the miscreants are the same.)

I think it's "Doe" as in "Doughey." Or "Doodoo."

I think it's "Doe" as in "Doughey." Or "Doodoo."

It's a shame Marc is missing this.