Open Table is changing its rewards system

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Perfect explanation, Stephanie, thanks. If OT explains it that way anywhere on its website, I couldn't find it.

Minimal explanation here. Basically, getting rid of paper dining cheques. Whether this change is positive remains to be seen.

It is pretty funny.   Or at least they can do so as long as they still have the capital reserves required to generate new Swifts.       Except then you wonder why you get ignored at the bar.

or plenti through amex. they blew it. i've racked up so many points over the years but only bothered to cash in one reward years ago. just looked at my account and looks like they deleted about 10k points from my account in april

That's strange, amex points aren't supposed to expire.

or plenti through amex. they blew it. i've racked up so many points over the years but only bothered to cash in one reward years ago. just looked at my account and looks like they deleted about 10k points from my account in april

That's strange, amex points aren't supposed to expire.

open table points disappeared not amex points. i see in the email i just received that opentable plans to let folks use points for amazon giftcards in the future.

We’ll also be rolling out new ways to redeem your points, including allowing you to redeem points for Amazon.com Gift Card(s).*

Right. Inserting the restaurant as the entity which has to somehow send out the gift card doesn't look so smart.

They could even partner with Chase etc as an affinity provider, and run the OpenTable points through Chase. Same way as the 1%, 2% 5% etc cash back deal works. You get 1% cash back with any provider, 2% with Chase (or AmEx).

I'd agree with you their present idea doesn't seem well thought out...

OpenTable zeroed out a few thousand points for me last year. I called, and they reinstated the points a few days later. I have the suspicion that zeroing out point balances is part of their strategy.

Like the airlines with points that expire, and other points which don't expire.

Right. Inserting the restaurant as the entity which has to somehow send out the gift card doesn't look so smart.

They could even partner with Chase etc as an affinity provider, and run the OpenTable points through Chase. Same way as the 1%, 2% 5% etc cash back deal works. You get 1% cash back with any provider, 2% with Chase (or AmEx).

OpenTable zeroed out a few thousand points for me last year. I called, and they reinstated the points a few days later. I have the suspicion that zeroing out point balances is part of their strategy.

the help contact button on the website doesn't work so i tweeted them about my points. i am hopeful they will be restored

Glad to know I'm not the only one here pissed off about this. I generally redeem my points when I hit 10K (=$100). And have never had any problems, nor a very long wait for snail mail.

Agree with Wilf that there's almost no explanation on their site. Almost as if they still haven't figured it out. Except for everything reverting to an Amazon gift card if you can't get anything else, which pisses me off even more. The only thing that would make it even worse would be if they require you to "redeem" the "gift card" on a smart phone, and ONLY on a smart phone.

They may have just lost me as a customer. And I've been with them almost since the very beginning.

What you need to do is get Taylor Swift to tweet about your points.

i know.

by the way, who died and made her leader of the free world?

Didn't she just upend Apple's new music sampling policy? She chose to hold back her music, and Amazon agreed to lick her sandals.

You mean a record company exec hired a PR person to pen the words that were then spoken by the embodiment of a concept that you want to believe is an actual person with opinions.

the tweet worked. they restored my points.

You mean a record company exec hired a PR person to pen the words that were there spoken by posted to tumblr by the publicist of the embodiment of a concept that you want to believe is an actual person with opinions.

FTFY. :D

I think I'd rather believe Taylor Swift is the most important person in the world than whoever at the PR firm currently handles her account.

Although it's a nice idea that the poor, deflated, ignored burst balloons of record company execs can seize power over Apple, Facebook and Google by thrusting their wizened arms up the backside of a Taylor Swift dummy.