Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

Bittman Walks on the Wild (Edibles) Side

Mark Bittman has joined the firm which owns Blue Apron and other meal delivery services as a full time employee, according to the NYT.

“We’re not preaching veganism at all,” Mr. Levitt said. “I look at it as a great opportunity to make a real difference in the world by teaching people how to eat a plant-based diet that is good for health, good for the environment and good for animal welfare.”

Mr. Levitt previously worked in the biotech business, as director of marketing for Genzyme and then as founder of HealthTalker, a health care marketing business, which he sold in 2012.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/02/business/media/food-writer-to-join-the-meal-kit-firm-purple-carrot.html?ref=business

Mark Bittman has joined the firm which owns Blue Apron and other meal delivery services as a full time employee, according to the NYT.

“We’re not preaching veganism at all,” Mr. Levitt said. “I look at it as a great opportunity to make a real difference in the world by teaching people how to eat a plant-based diet that is good for health, good for the environment and good for animal welfare.”

Mr. Levitt previously worked in the biotech business, as director of marketing for Genzyme and then as founder of HealthTalker, a health care marketing business, which he sold in 2012.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/02/business/media/food-writer-to-join-the-meal-kit-firm-purple-carrot.html?ref=business

he won't be helping poor people eat more plants, that's for sure. those vegan meal plans are pretty pretty pricey. that one that beyonce shills for is priced for people who make beyonce/jay z money

His Insider column about the departure suggests that his respect for the NYT Dining / Food people has diminished over the years, and he finally got tired of the nonsense.

In Enough is Enough, he mentions the emphasis on food and dining as entertainment. Even in the face of scientific change.

But the world of food changed during The Minimalist’s tenure: It became apparent that industrial meat production was environmentally devastating as well as horrifying; that many of the official recommendations of the Department of Agriculture were hypocritical or just wrong; that so-called nutrition science was often barely a step or two removed from astrology; that food workers were almost universally maltreated; and more. My views changed, too, and it was time to write differently.

Yet while Gerry Marzorati was asking me for essays about food marketing, nutrition, and agriculture for The New York Times Magazine’s food issue, the Dining section remained steadfast in its desire to talk about food almost exclusively as entertainment. After a series of more serious pieces for Week in Review, I moved on to the Opinion section in 2011 and moved my recipe-writing stories to the magazine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/13/insider/enough-is-enough-the-last-word-from-mark-bittman-for-now.html

From Mimi Sheraton's Twitter...

How many times is the Times going to let Mark Bittman say goodbye in self-advertisements and plugs for Purple Carrot? Good-bye already!

Bittman has become increasingly self righteous over the years and is absolutely certain he knows exactly what we should be eating. What he's been really quiet about is how average people are supposed to pay for it.

I just looked at the website of his new employer, Purple Carrot. It's like a Fresh Direct for vegans with the added benefit they create recipes and then ship you the ingredients. The customers then have to assemble or cook them. The Carrot site touts the fact that their food is responsibly sourced and is good for the planet.

The site also introduces Bittman - "Mark joined The Purple Carrot to make the New American Diet more accessible, and to get more plant-based meals onto the dinner plates of more Americans."

Accessible my ass.

Look at the prices. PC will ship the ingredients for 3 meals for 2 adults for $68. The weekly cost would be $159.

The USDA estimates that 2 adults aged 19 - 59 adopting a "low cost" grocery shopping strategy spend $111.40 a week. Switching to PC would increase their food costs by 47%.

22451836714_b4dc9f70e1_b.jpg

If they are following a "thrifty" strategy they're now spending $86.20 a week Switching to the Carrot would increase their food costs by 84%.

I've got no criticism of the Carrot or the people who use them. I do fault Bittman for preaching to us for years about how we all should be eating and then going to work for a company that only feeds the well off.

i think it's even less accessible. PC is selling dinners and the USDA numbers are usually for 3 meals a day

Charge people $68 for something they would want in the same theoretical world where they also go to the gym three times a week.

Make delivery optional - that is - every month people need to indicate when they want to take delivery, so as not to waste food.

Nobody cancels because they're ashamed of wanting to cook tasteless vegan dinners zero times a week.

If someone actually uses the service in full, try to push them to the most expensive plan and gradually make the base plan less appealing.

It's a much better space to be in than FreshDirect's.

But it's also a much more crowded space.

Bittman is descending into self parody.

Mark Bittman Wants to Establish a National Drinking Age for Soda

He's setting the age of consent at 16 although he admits he really would like it to be 20.

Why stop at soda? Why not candy bars? Pizza. Burgers. Hot dogs. I can see the sign behind the counter now. "No slices will be sold to persons under 16 unless accompanied by an adult."

Fatuous jackass. If he was working to improve the quality of school lunches I'd respect him but he's flacking for a company that ships vegan meals to people at high prices.

Bittman is descending into self parody.

Mark Bittman Wants to Establish a National Drinking Age for Soda

He's setting the age of consent at 16 although he admits he really would like it to be 20.

Why stop at soda? Why not candy bars? Pizza. Burgers. Hot dogs. I can see the sign behind the counter now. "No slices will be sold to persons under 16 unless accompanied by an adult."

Fatuous jackass. If he was working to improve the quality of school lunches I'd respect him but he's flacking for a company that ships vegan meals to people at high prices.

maybe he should work on making healthy food affordable. the average low income person/family won't have access let alone be able to afford organic unprocessed foods. people buy what they can afford and what is readily accessible.