Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

Bittman Walks on the Wild (Edibles) Side

And let's add, there's some real stupidity here. Alcohol, like other intoxicants, can have a dramatic impact on your ability to function. Smoking is a major cause of fatal disease.

Yes, you can get diabetes and other health outcomes from poor diet over time, but that's quite another thing from suggesting that Coke, or soda, or Fruit Loops, or heavy cream cause diabetes or heart disease (as cigarettes, for example, cause lung cancer).

It's really oafish,

And supporting, but not I hope repeating, splinky's point, if you really want to tackle poor nutrition, tackle low incomes.

• Like 1

Exactly. What he's been saying for years is "This is the way you should eat. Poor people need not apply."

Maybe Bittman will join Chipotle and develop a line of vegan tacos. To paraphrase Churchill, it will be like a rat swimming towards a sinking ship.

I've never been to a Chipotle. Or a Subway.

I am, however, good for 2 or 3 visits to White Castle every year.

Yes, but they haven't hired him back. Rather he's a fellow at some institute at Berkley.

Via Grubstreet -

Mark Bittman Joins Columbia’s School of Public Health

A move to Academia, the last refuge of the scoundrel, where he can spout off completely impractical ideas and no one will ever ask him a hard question like "will poor people be able to afford this?"

And while I have a minute lets track the path of the peripatetic Bittman.

NY Times Op Ed Food Bloviator in Chief through November 2015. His endless farewell articles were as tedious as the 34th Moody Blues farewell tour.

November 2015 - May 2016. Shill for Purple Carrot, a Blue Apron for well heeled vegans. After 6 months he moved on to Greener and More Sustainable pastures, cheered by his minority ownership position in the Carrot.

May 2016 - November 2016 - Occasional lecturer at UC Berkeley.

November 2016 - Columbia School of Public Health where he can talk down to all of us and impart Deep Thoughts.

This fucker moves around as much as Ryan Skeen.

contact-photo.jpg

From the Salads chapter of the forthcoming How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, second edition (without my edits; emphasis added):

There’s very little rabbit food among these recipes. Sure, there’s a section of raw vegetable salads, and raw foods are more popular than ever. And although there’s undoubtedly something to be said for including uncooked foods in our diets, it’s worth saying once again that a salad can include cooked vegetables as well and that the salad bowl is a perfect place for leftovers or vegetables you cook in advance, knowing that you’re going to serve them at room temperature or cold—which is just about all that distinguishes many salads from “vegetable dishes.”

Maybe I'll reverse my edits so he is still as mealy mouthed as here.

As a public service I need to warn you that Mark Bittman has joined Grubstreet as a columnist. He wrote a brief but annoying "where have I been" piece and then filed his first column today in which he attempts to define "the new foodiesm." His definition is so broad that it's essentially meaningless but then coherency was never Bittman's strong suit.

He's as annoying as ever.

I joined the vegan meal-kit company Purple Carrot, which in retrospect might have been a mistake, except everything that followed was kind of great, so … I’m reminded that nothing is black and white.I’m reminded, too, of an acid trip in 1968 in which I yelled, at one point, “It’s all black and white.” Should I be discussing this? Oh, well, it was a lifetime ago, so … We were in a tiled hallway near Gramercy Park, and the tiles were, indeed, black-and-white squares. Except there was color everywhere. (Chuck, do you feel me?) I’ve made a couple of other mistakes since then, but nothing really “bad” has happened. I’ve been lucky.

One thing that wasn’t a mistake was moving to Berkeley, California, which I did right around New Year’s 2015 — before leaving the Times — fulfilling a longtime dream. It also wasn’t a mistake to move back East, which I recently did, also for a variety of reasons — including my daughters and my partner and my mom and my grandson and my sister and my closest friends. I do miss Berkeley,I was there recently, and am writing this from a surreally fabulous house in Point Reyes, at a writing retreat sponsored by the good people of Mesa Refuge. but I’m settled at Glynwood, a wonderful, inspiring, and smart sustainable food-and-farming nonprofit near Cold Spring. That’s about as personal as I’ll get here for now, except to say that I’m happy.
Obviously, the cooking has continued as well. Sometimes, I think Berkeley ingredients spoiled me for the East, but … no. Granted, there’s nothing like having a lemon tree (and once you do, it sucks to not have one). However, East Coast tomatoes are better. East Coast stone fruit, challenging as it is to come by, is equally good. And East Coast apples are so much better than western apples that they almost make you forget about the great western citrus.

So what the hell? There’s no paradise. After exploring a winter’s worth of cooking, using almost only Glynwood meat (mostly the less popular bits) and vegetables — which meant an incredible assortment of offal, shins, feet, roots, tubers, cabbages, and winter squash — I felt I had a much better understanding of, and affection for, those things. That’s not nothing. And, after 47 years of trying, I became a good bread baker. Now, I’ll put my whole-grain sourdough up against most anyone’s.Credit where it’s due: The guys who really taught me, Jim Lahey and Rick Easton and Sam Fromartz, make better bread. So do a bunch of other obsessives. (I use that term affectionately, of course.)

Glynwood.

Golly. Like, no one before had thought to try to bring the goodness of the Hudson Valley to the world! (I notice that Robert LaVulva of New Hipsterdom Market is on their Advisory Council. :rolleyes: Yeah, a real success story.)

FYI: Just to show how far off the wagon Alice has fallen: I'm now working on How to Grill Everything (aka How to Cook Everything Grilling). And it ain't all grilled veggies, either.