Micromanage my Life -San Francisco/ Palo Alto/Napa Edition

There are two significant bakeries near us.

Arsicault on Arguello at Clement is classic French: croissants, kouign amman, pain au chocolat, morning rolls, tarts. Good coffee. And a line. If there is no line, they are either closed (at 1pm) or they have sold out which is often the case. http://richmondsfblog.com/2015/04/08/arsicault-bakery-opens-on-arguello-offering-french-pastries-with-a-heritage/

Note that this is an old article and new hours are

Open Tuesday through Saturday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sunday 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Closed Monday.

B Patisserie is a couple of years older and offers a broader selection, croissants and kouign amman for sure, but also a large selection of sweet pastries and tarts. Sandwich shop diagonally across California at Divisadero. Closed Monday. http://bpatisserie.com/

These are two completely different operations, one a shoebox sized one-man kitchen, the other very professionally equipped and staffed, but both using the highest quality ingredients (you can smell the warm butter and sugar half a block away) and honest craftsmanship and personal devotion of the baker.

nice! even though i can't eat most of the stuff anymore i love looking at it and smelling it baking

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

best airlines? virgin or jet blue or do i use up some american airlines gift cards.   where to eat that's new and exciting in SF? where to eat in Palo Alto? is the garden court the place to stay i

i was thinking i'd love to stay at auberge du soleil but i'd be guilt ridden to do so when i think about all children starving in the world. so maybe a nice midrange hotel somewhere in the valley, not

i like almost anyplace on the block with bi-rite for a nice bite in that price range. and if they don't mind downtown, kin khao is nice for a solo diner

here's a partial list of SF places i was told to check out. i'd love to hear from anyone who has sampled the good at any of these places

Cockscomb

The Cavalier

Hogs and Rocks

Atelier Crenn (probably too fishy for my taste)

Coqueta

Flour + Water

Trick Dog (for drinks)

Cockscomb - yes, good.

Flour + Water - yes, good.

Trick Dog - prepare to get drunk. Yes, good.

Petit Crenn - loved it.

waiting to hear back from flour + water if they can accommodate my special snowflake dietary needs

Cockscomb - yes, good.

Petit Crenn - loved it.

waiting to hear back from flour + water if they can accommodate my special snowflake dietary needs

For you, + water

Cockscomb - yes, good.

Petit Crenn - loved it.

For you, + water

basically

• 2 weeks later...

so we sort of played every day by ear and cooked at home a lot

slanted door

mariposa

roli roti

tartine

pica pica

dandelion chocolate

norman rose tavern (napa)

casa del sol (menlo park)

mitchell's ice cream

la palma

kin khao

shopped the farmer's markets and visited a friend's winery and really enjoyed the fancy food show

i think i've forgotten a bunch of stuff

how was kin khao?

that food was great. i felt like there were fewer choices than my last visit. the cocktails and soft drinks were genius. service was sort of uneven but that may be by design. my guest really enjoyed overall. thinking about the mushroom curry pot makes me smile as i type this. the pork belly was luxuriously rich. there were some rancho gordo beans that i really enjoyed despite their evil origins

how was kin khao?

that food was great....thinking about the mushroom curry pot makes me smile as i type this.....there were some rancho gordo beans that i really enjoyed despite their evil origins

If you need to revisit the mushroom curry pot, this comes close. http://cooking.nytim...ushroom-hor-mok

And I have to say that the RG beans were close to my favorite dish. Fortunately, the rest of the table was more concentrated on the proteins, so I really scored big time!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...