Sign in to follow this  
bloviatrix

Chard Stems

I've got a ton of chard stems. What should I do with them? (I'm using the leaves to make fritters) Help!

• Like 6

my mother once breaded and fried some but she also shelled some sugar snap peas the other day and complained that the peas inside were defective. she did the same thing with snow pea pods last year.

i'd blend them with white beans into a hummus-like spread or add them to a soup

Wow, I'm so glad you asked! I learned some new things to do. :) Since I pretty much always just slice them and cook them with the leaves, I've never had that problem. Now I might keep them aside just to try some of those. The only thing I thought to suggest was a gratin, which I see is included in both of splinky's links.

I like the pickling idea.

And back when I was a gardener, with Swiss chard being one of the easier vegetable to grow, I seem to remember reading (probably in Sunset magazine, since I was living in California) over and over to treat the stems like asparagus.

I've got a ton of chard stems. What should I do with them? (I'm using the leaves to make fritters) Help!

Make a gratin out of them.

My default use is to simmer them in lightly salted water for 5 minutes, then blanch them, then squeeze all the water out of them. Then I chop them up and cook in olive oil along with:

* green garlic, anchovy, onion

* garlic, pine nuts, golden raisins, peperoncini

* onion, citrus zest, slivered peppers and top with shards of bottarga

I've also been thinking about braising them lately, along with green beans and broccoli rabe.

You could pair that with slivered sausage, or nuggets of ham or pancetta. Or morsels of olive-oil packed tuna.