Sign in to follow this  
Sneakeater

Caffe Dante

I'm obviously a sucker for the refurbished old Village staple genre. Here's another (with Figaro on the way!).

It's mainly a cocktail spot, but with food.

I went in planning to have some food and a cocktail. I looked at the food menu and, although it looked alright, there was nothing I could bring myself to pay for. So I ended up having three cocktails instead.

This is Naren Young's new spot. He was down at Tales, however. No matter. His lieutenants are more than able executants. It's an attractive list, a little bit neo-Italianate without going crazy. Of course the way I ordered effected my perception of the style, but everything I had was crisp, balanced, and bursting with flavor. I even had a vodka-based cocktail that I liked very much.

Recommended for the cocktails. I'm sure the food is fine -- but I don't see it.

• Like 4

In case anyone wants to know what it looks like inside...

19201822084_dc54f02c8b.jpg

I think they did a nice job on the refurbishment. And they do a nice job on the cocktails...

19636413580_5173b4aa22.jpg

None of which were vodka based ;) .

The bartender urged it on me. It was her favorite thing on the list. She said she'd substitute gin if I wanted. I told her to make it they way it was intended -- but made her promise not to tell any of my friends I had it.

The place looks nice, but no attempt to preserve anything of Caffe Dante as far as I can see from the photo.

Their "Winter 2017" cocktail – Smith & Cross, Caol Ila, vanilla, spiced honey, hot water, and truffle butter – is the most ill-conceived cocktail I've ever had.

The other cocktails I had were pretty good though.

It looked so weird on the menu that I thought it was worth a try. I was so, so wrong.