• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have this private tour of an exhibit thing at the Smithsonian and the cleaning fairytm is coming with. not sure if it's a day trip or an overnight yet. right now looking for places to eat and things

I mean kinship and metier, which aren’t really new.

Posted Images

If you would be so kind, AaronS, please indulge me and allow me to take us on a circuitous route in answering your question about the food. I think it may be an interesting exercise …

I’ll begin to answer your question by asking you a question

WhIch of these three halibut dishes do you think would give the most eating pleasure ?

Please rank them in order ...

Curtain Number ONE

IMG_1602.thumb.JPG.d3efd742148d473fb093a127e3df65cb.JPG

Curtain Number TWO

IMG_1695.thumb.JPG.2f8cd09b765ddc623e55a3cd248d3f56.JPG

IMG_1696.thumb.JPG.603bf6d007fda20e2e6c67fbbe6c0b92.JPG

Curtain Number THREE

IMG_7419.thumb.JPG.9ba239804a3acfa427e74d4da3d77231.JPG

IMG_7420.thumb.JPG.6676049adf0108ea246f870a0c05b412.JPG

the second picture is from kinship.

I would probably rank them 1 2 3, probably because the combination of halibut and fig seems odd to me.

the third looks like home cooking to me, but it could taste great.

Okay, very nicely done

I’ll continue to answer your question by asking you one more question

WhIch of these three, nah make that five, lamb dishes do you think would give the most eating pleasure ?

(Don't worry, AaronS, there's a method to this madness)

Curtain Number ONE

218662833_IMG_0249-Agneau.thumb.JPG.eee76eb15451ad6bdda21475f6c22508.JPG

Curtain Number TWO

IMG_1700.thumb.JPG.4ce33fa423a86b62f4f78f8c6626332e.JPG

IMG_1701.thumb.JPG.eeffab20d8794aca39c1a60da07f91b3.JPG

Curtain Number THREE

620111995_IMG_8703b.thumb.png.b6941371e1c0a6dfaeff3c3e90cf8e45.png

Curtain Number FOUR

1702967249_IMG_8066-LAgneau.thumb.JPG.38542ac9715f7ba29563e996d9830fa0.JPG

IMG_8067.thumb.JPG.40bdce5a779956b1e8191bfc8d25cd42.JPG

Curtain Number FIVE (after it's cooked 🙂)

IMG_0552.thumb.JPG.385d9d955b970bd0ce01972c118dd86e.JPG

two is from kinship.

one 

two

four

five 

three 

hard to create much separation here, three and five look very similar but I like peas and assume chambo has procured good ones.

were both the kinship dishes cooked in a bag?

I think it should now be coming clear to you, AaronS, why I took the path I took … I didn’t want to damage your Kinship without a fuller explanation

From a jurisprudence point of view, with this being DC and me being PC and all, I saw no other potential path to pursue to prevent this prickly problem that was festering within from forming a feared fracture in our formidable and forever (iffy?) friendship #bff

The second I saw you say “did you like the food at kinship? ”, I gasped, gulped and thought “Houston, we have a problem ! ”

For it was very true, as you so carefully and cleverly noticed, that I didn’t breathe a single word about the food there and now I was being confronted with that quarrelsome question head-on. I knew that we were about to have a collision between your cherished views and my reality of Kinship 😨

I knew that my arguments would be dissected endlessly in public and serve as precedent by the supreme Kangaroo Court that we have here assembled so I debated whether I should get to work immediately on preparing my brief brief while still in briefs ... or whether I should simply say “No … disappointed” and move on and get back to the wearisome work of negotiating my multi-trillion-dollar deal with the Joint Chiefs, SecDef and Mr President, who has now asked me to address him as “Uncle Joe” since we have now become so damn chummy. Considering that Chambo prefers a lot on his plate, as his home-cooking slop attests to, Chambo decided to go the brief route 😊

Upon taking that fork in the road, I now had to figure out how to wisely frame my brief so as to avoid any and all unnecessary violence … [@any young ones out there - listen up carefully for here comes some important Chambo life advice ! ] … and invariably when confronted with important life choices and temporary moments of indecision like this, I close my eyes and meditate until I reach a calm, zen-like state … I think about where I currently am and then I visualize where I need to be … and I ALWAYS rely upon First Principles to guide me … I slowly allow my empty, peaceful mind to meld with and draw strength from the energy in the Universe and then patiently wait for the supernova and the answer to arrive and then … BOOM ! SONIC BOOM ! … just like that, I simultaneously hear the answer as it appears before my very eyes …

Straight out of the National Archives, word for word, the answer was now before me …

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one person to dissolve the emotional bands which have connected others to a favored restaurant, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation, preferably by providing a proliferation of pics as proof

Chambo's dilemna is solved famously by the Founding Fathers at the very birth of our Nation 🙏 ... what are the chances ! 

On 10/16/2021 at 1:19 AM, AaronS said:

were both the kinship dishes cooked in a bag?

AaronS, I am greatly relieved to see that I seem to making progress and probably already have the situation in the bag because if you are asking if they were cooked in a bag then you probably know that they were bad … or at minimum not very good

Now some initial details …

Curtains Number TWO were indeed Kinship ... but you didn't know that right away AaronS, because since I was "following" the thread I received an email that shows that you originally said "if one of those pictures is from kinship it’s probably the first one. I guess it looks best to me?". Hence reinforcing my original sneaky suspicion that you had emotional attachment to the resto 😉

Curtains Number ONE were the most recent times that I ordered the Kinship protein in question at another restaurant. Specifically, the Curtain ONE halibut is from two weeks ago at Wallse in NYC and the Curtain ONE lamb is from Ze à Paris. I ate there just over three weeks ago. That’s Ze as in Ze Kitchen Galerie

Curtains Number THREE were the most recent times that I personally slopped together a plate with those Kinship proteins ... in various, unfamiliar kitchens. Specifically, the Curtain THREE halibut was Cape Cod-cloistered Chambo riffing on this Douglass Williams one-pan halibut recipe in the WSJ, prepared the day after the article in appeared in print ie in Aug 2020 a few days prior to an infamous, aerial sightseeing trip

The Curtain Number THREE lamb is Chambo cheffing for Mother Dear chez Mother Dear this past winter and into spring. Grilled lamb chops are arguably Mother Dear’s favorite thing to eat so Chambo has made these many times for Mother Dear while hanging out in Jersey and helping her out during the unvaccinated, covid times

Just for fun, I tossed in a couple of extra chops for you to chew on …

The Curtain Number FOUR lamb is from the now defunct Saturne in Paris … I ate there so many times that I could have shown at least 5 different lambs in a row … note that Saturne-chef-owner Sven is imminently about to open a new place located about two hours outside of Paris in Préaux-du-Perche

The Curtain Number FIVE lamb was bought at boucherie Vossot in Beaune in Burgundy … nothing special … just stuff purchased after a mid-June, pre-covid veggie shopping at the outdoor market en plein centre-ville … that bottle of wine, on the other hand, is special in the sense that the juice from the grapes in that 2005 bottle had probably never moved more than fifty yards in the fourteen years since the energy of the sun powered the creation of those grapes … Chambo displaced that bottle from Lafarge’s Volnay cellar and then transported it 5km to Beaune pour la boire ce soir-là !

I’ll comment on the food later … but I got to get to The White House cuz I’m already late … but now you know what you are looking at

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 11:06 PM, Chambolle said:

If you would be so kind, AaronS, please indulge me and allow me to take us on a circuitous route in answering your question about the food. I think it may be an interesting exercise …

I’ll begin to answer your question by asking you a question

WhIch of these three halibut dishes do you think would give the most eating pleasure ?

Curtain Number ONE

IMG_1602.thumb.JPG.d3efd742148d473fb093a127e3df65cb.JPG

Curtain Number TWO

IMG_1695.thumb.JPG.2f8cd09b765ddc623e55a3cd248d3f56.JPG

IMG_1696.thumb.JPG.603bf6d007fda20e2e6c67fbbe6c0b92.JPG

Curtain Number THREE

IMG_7419.thumb.JPG.9ba239804a3acfa427e74d4da3d77231.JPG

IMG_7420.thumb.JPG.6676049adf0108ea246f870a0c05b412.JPG

I love how you can see where the halibut got squeezed by the vac when it got bagged for #2.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:23 AM, Chambolle said:

Upfront Disclosure - I don’t have any little kids so WTF do I know !

I can’t condone Kinship with kiddies … and I know that many parents think that their kids are the best behaved bunch in the entire country … but more importantly Kinship is going to be seriously boring for little ones IMHO. It’s a fine dining sort of place and pretty calm with minimal energy in the room, probably accentuated due to some tables purposely not available for social distancing reasons, which is a nice gesture on their part to their customers because the tables are normallly nicely separated. This past Wednesday at 8.30pm and beyond there was close to zero energy ... and most (all ?) available tables in the dining room were occupied ... pretty boring crowd ... for the most part, very good service. The bar area was completely empty, as was their little lounge area

On the other hand, I think Albi could be a very nice choice with kids. It's a very good restaurant with interesting food, a lively, fun place with good energy and the kids have a very reasonable chance of enjoying themselves there ... they can rip apart those big, warm, fluffy, seasoned and quite tasty PITAs with their hands before swiping their shred through whichever interesting hummus was ordered and get their hands dirty and messy in the process ... I mean if that's not fun then what is ! … and kids enjoying themselves can add to their parents’ enjoyment, I think. Re solo dining, there is a very nice L-shaped bar near the entrance and you are well-seated there to enjoy dinner. It is true that their MASHAWI mains are aimed (and priced) for sharing but you can surely put together an enjoyable meal for one. One caveat re kids - the food is assertively spiced (in a very good way) so that may or may not be an issue

so we did Albi and it was as Chambo says, good enough that the parents were happy, while being interactive and noisy enough that the kids enjoyed. We actually did the Chef's Hearth  (partially because I'm a moron and didnt read what I was doing before I reserved on Tock - but it was excellent)

Interesting comparison to Zahav. Albi was kind of like Zahav if you did American Lilly Gilding to it. 

Like the lamb on the hummus was actually burnt ends dressed with a date confit or something - delicious but OTT. The kanifyeh at the end of the meal - butterscotch or maybe salted caramel. 

Like generally just a little grosser in the best possible way relative to Zahav.   Would recommend.