bloviatrix

Micromanage my life - travel edition

Thanks but I think I'm looking more for resources than destinations -- good websites or good brick-and-mortar agents. How to get to/from places and find places to stay, not so much where.

ultimately I think you'll find that until you've figured out the destination you are interested in, any sort of helper will be very commodity in nature.   Once you've decided where to go you'll either be able to research things on your own or find a helper with real local expertise.

Honestly - we can probably as group give you pretty good advice on resources once you narrow down geography.

• Like 1

if your trying to figure out broad flight budgets and what not, the google tools are pretty good. 

Tripadvisor to pick a place is pretty fraught. Tripadvisor to diligence a place you've picked is pretty good so long as you can parse out the unreasonable people and the shills.

Thanks but I think I'm looking more for resources than destinations -- good websites or good brick-and-mortar agents. How to get to/from places and find places to stay, not so much where.

ahh, totally understand, sorry I misread.. We are very fly by the seat of our pants.. It normally works out.. 

If you're interested in a single city for, say, 10 days to two weeks, I think it behooves you to look at the home rental sites, as opposed to a hotel stay.  That way, you're certainly in control more, and generally have lots more room.

I'm still fond of old school VRBO (slash Home Away slash Flipkey) And airbnb. And other assorted home rental sites.We've been quite lucky over the years.

• Like 1

yes, unless you're nervous about the place you're going to, there is no upside to a hotel over an apt. rental for any trip longer than 2-3 days (and probably not even for those). as money conscious travelers, it is great for us to be able to make breakfasts and snacks "at home" and bring leftovers back from restaurants. and, of course, no matter what size place you rent you will have more room than in a hotel. vet, vet, vet and you will find reliable, secure places.

• Like 2

Thank you for these tips. Airbnb has such a reputation here in NYC for displacing renters that I keep forgetting that super-short-term rentals are a great deal out of town. And I haven't forgotten how useless the front desks were at last few, despite being relatively fancy, hotels.

This planning now seems digestible, rather than biting off more than I can chew. That's a terrible metaphor. Time to get some dinner.