• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is located on 11th Street at Avenue B, in the old Spina space.   These guys have restaurants in Australia (the chef told me he's from Melbourne), and this is their first foray into NYC. The st

This isn't a discussion about authenticity

Very upscale.   I might pop by later this week. Thanks Liquid.

i suspect it happened because someone who doesn't actually speak hindi tried to translate a transliterated english word into nagari script, perhaps using software of some kind. "murgi" is the conventional transliteration into english but if you didn't actually speak hindi you might not know that the "ur" sound isn't as in "fur"; or that the "i" sound in that "ki" is a long "ee" sound and not the short "i" vowel they used. (and it's also the wrong "r" in murgi.)

i assume they're better with the actual cooking.

No, I'm suggesting that when Babu Ji hire a PR agent and you ask them about the incorrect text, you'll be given an explanation and it won't be that they can't spell.

Yeah, but that's what PR's paid to do.

I also can't imagine more than a handful of people being upset over this, and not enough to avoid trying it out.

It's not the number of people upset; it's the fact that they were pandering thought they were being clever and fucked it up. What if they had stenciled something obscene? Would that still be okay if only a few people knew? I don't think so. Respect the language, whosever it is. (Remember: dealing with, and trying to correct, language is how I make my living.)

Now if the chef also has a lower back tattoo with the same misspelled text, then maybe I'd consider not eating here.

I'd rather not know that sort of information, or think about how one might find it out. :P

• Like 1

and apparently nobody who owns/works at the restaurant has noticed. again, what this says for their ability to "translate" recipes is for people who've actually eaten there to say; but as mitchells suggests, it would probably give you more pause in other contexts.

and apparently nobody who owns/works at the restaurant has noticed. again, what this says for their ability to "translate" recipes is for people who've actually eaten there to say; but as mitchells suggests, it would probably give you more pause in other contexts.

Absolutely agree. I also figure that it's gotten a chuckle or two from the customers who speak the language, much as Ginny laughingly points out this stuff to me when we're in Eyetalian joints (or listening to Rich pronounce motzarelle :blush: ).

I did wonder about the handwritten signs all over Chinatown. Are they impeccable? Would we worry about the restaurant in general if they weren't? Or is there a difference between a written sign and presumably more costly wall decor?

(I don't have a position on any of this; just questions.)

Well, if a restaurant is trying to walk the ridge between "authentic" and "not ethnic" then it's more likely to run into these issues than an actual ethnic restaurant (with American being an ethnicity).

Like, if I chose to open a "modern Egyptian" restaurant because one of my grandmothers was born in Egypt, and then decorate the walls with phrases in broken Egyptian Arabic (or the reservation peeps would answer the phone with the wrong pronunciation of ج ) then that would be as ridiculous and quite a bit more likely to happen than if I actually named it in a language I know.