Parsippany: Shan Shan Noodles

I have read good reviews of this simple Chinese pulled and cut noodle place on Rt. 46, Parsippany.

Are there any of you who have eaten there? TIA

• Like 2

No

I've become a regular at Chengdu 23 in Wayne (strip mall near West belt / Willowbrook), and I've heard many good things about the new Shanghai place on 46 east in Fairfield. Haven't been there yet.

Chengdu 1 in Cedar Grove closed a few weeks ago, I bellieve the building is being torn down.

Question from a non-New Jerseyite, who has no idea of NJ towns: Many years ago, iirc there was an eGullet Chinese New Year's dinner at a place on Route 46 (China 46?). It was pretty good, as I remember. Is there something about that road, or the areas it goes through, that encourages Chinese restaurants? Or am I totally misremembering?

I believe I was at the same dinner. It was on US 46 in Ridgefield Park, on the westbound side. Don't recall the name.

Palisades Park (the town), Fairview, and Fort Lee have a huge Asian population. I've heard that PalPark is now 50% Korean speaking, with Fort Lee a popular destination for Japanese speakers. Sign ordinances (half of each sign must be in English) have been approved over the years.

We will try to eat at Shan Shan Noodle before we leave New Jersey, and if so, I'll report back.

Question from a non-New Jerseyite, who has no idea of NJ towns: Many years ago, iirc there was an eGullet Chinese New Year's dinner at a place on Route 46 (China 46?). It was pretty good, as I remember. Is there something about that road, or the areas it goes through, that encourages Chinese restaurants? Or am I totally misremembering?

I believe I was at the same dinner. It was on US 46 in Ridgefield Park, on the westbound side. Don't recall the name.

Palisades Park (the town), Fairview, and Fort Lee have a huge Asian population. I've heard that PalPark is now 50% Korean speaking, with Fort Lee a popular destination for Japanese speakers. Sign ordinances (half of each sign must be in English) have been approved over the years.

Yes, the place was on Route 46 West (heading away from the GW Bridge) -- many years ago, when you went to the dinner, it was called China 46.

I lived in Fort Lee for many years, and my family is from the area (after they left NYC, LOL) -- and China 46 was always very popular with the "locals" who knew about it -- both Asian and everyone else. Locals were always raving about the place to others, and more and more the reputation grew. Believe it or not, there weren't a lot of "very good" Chinese restaurants in the area where you could go and have a very good meal, at least one that differed from the typical take-out, local place, etc. Many people used to go to Willie Yu's in Cliffside Park and years later the original Look See opened in Fort Lee (which was more "gourmet" type Chinese food). Regardless, China 46 was very good and a bit of a "hidden gem" for years. Hard to be hidden right on Rt. 46, LOL -- but you passed it a thousand times and would never think to just go in as it still looked just like a stand-alone diner.

Anyway, the history was that at one time it was a truck stop diner. And, it still looked that way -- a diner I mean. It was a traditional, stand-alone, diner type building/structure. It operated that way for a long time. If you knew it, you went and you enjoyed it. If you didn't know it -- you wouldn't just walk in for the most part, except if curiosity took over. I mean if you wanted Chinese food and simply wanted to try a new place, sure, why not.

So, China 46 had been there for many years and developed a very strong following. While the location and appearance was "odd" to some people -- most people liked it and liked it a lot. The food was very good. After China 46 it operated as Phoenix Garden Too.

Most recently it has been Lan Garden 88.

Unfortunately, time ran out before we could get to Shan Shan Noodles. We are back in Mexico City.

No

I've become a regular at Chengdu 23 in Wayne (strip mall near West belt / Willowbrook), and I've heard many good things about the new Shanghai place on 46 east in Fairfield. Haven't been there yet.

Chengdu 1 in Cedar Grove closed a few weeks ago, I bellieve the building is being torn down.

Yeah, but it was replaced by Chengdu 1 Palace in Green Brook which the owner opened some time ago. Rachel ate there last night with a bunch of people.

http://palace.chengdu1.com/

• 5 months later...

We had the pleasure yesterday of a late afternoon lunch at Shan Shan Noodles. It's a small, storefront restaurant in a strip mall on Rt. 46. We were given a warm welcome by the staff. Although most speak English, others have less. Nevertheless, it wasn't hard to make our wishes known.

Our table gave us a good view of the Chef, stretching and swinging noodles behind a window. His is a truly amazing skill.

Once seated, we were brought a dish of lightly dressed morsels of cucumber, and the first of several pots of tea. The tea was the only weak spot of our meal. But it's hard to complain about a free item. The third pot, later in the meal was better. (Shhh--it's all Lipton's.)

For a starter, we ordered Sliced Pig's Ear's in Spicy Sauce. This was a very good dish, with crunchy texture and a zingy, oil–based sauce with both chili and Sichuan Pepper very evident.

IMG_4019.JPG

Our second was a bamboo steamer with six juicy Xiao Long Bao, accompanied by a light dipping sauce with fresh ginger dominating. Good XLB, although not the best we've ever had, yet still enjoyable.

IMG_4029.JPG

It was a challenge for us to choose a noodle dish from the picture menu. (There are several different menu formats, but as far as I could determine, the listings are the same.

We decided finally to have Shredded Pork "Paper" Noodles (spicy). This was a good dish, suitable for sharing for two diners. The noodles had a good texture, although we thought that the spiciness was subdued. We kicked up the spice level a notch or two with some Hot Red Oil from a jar on the table. That made the noodles a true delight to eat.

IMG_4072.JPG

The finale of our very enjoyable meal were four Fried Pork Buns. These were good, but even better with a few drops of black vinegar, soy sauce and Hot Oil.

IMG_4079.JPG

We called for the check and were amazed that it was around $27. That included a can of Coke.

We love this place; it's warm, cozy, friendly, fun and above all, noodley, We are eager to return soon.

• 1 year later...

Happy return today to Shan Shan noodle. Gary, the co-owner, remembered us from our last visit two years ago.

The refreshing cucumber salad was as welcome as before. That and endless pots of tea are gratis

We started with won ton soup, which was a bit light on the small wontons, but the broth was complexly herbal. Star anise was one of the flavors.

SlseW-E5xpexDkfkb_H6yKlKutP0KJiqLpbBjOGk
Then, a reprise of the fried pork buns, plump, sightly chewy, and with a fairly juicy pork filling.

Only recently had i found out that they offered mapo tofu, a must have dish, and we ordered that, extra spicy, over cut noodles.

jkfEYYtavwLd2ev5wf2VnYdVshSDH5GYNj2qU534

It was plenty zesty and the use of Sichuan Pepper was obvious. But there were also brown bean paste and broad bean chili to heighten the heat.

We were astounded when we got the check, for only $25.15

We love Shan Shan Noodles, and may it reign for a thousand years.

• 3 years later...

First shot at Shan Shan last night, and while many of the dishes don't travel well, which is a problem in the Covid world, what I could order was quite good. Would recc to people looking for authentic-ish Xinjiang food.  Spice levels seemed toned down, but I bet that's fixable.  There are a bunch on interesting places to explore in strip malls of 46.