US Open Tennis 2015

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cover of New York magazine. Cover of NYT magazine. Pressure building on Serena. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/serena-williams-and-the-difference-between-all-time-great-and-greatest-of-all-tim

Did you see the piece in the Times yesterday from a woman who hated going to the Open as a child?

A drone buzzed a player, and then crashed into an open area?   What's next, F-16s providing overhead security?

I was at the last day of the qualifying rounds last Thursday. All the matches are on the side courts, little jewelboxes where you sit a couple of feet away from the court itself. What a great way to see a match.

And there's free admission. Free!

We're heading out again this Thursday, this time to Arthur Ashe. I've seen pictures of the retractable roof under construction and it will be interesting to get a first hand look.

It was entertaining but more than a little creepy to watch Andy Murray defeat Nick Kyrgios last night. Kyrgios is very tightly wound, with more ticks and fidgets than Judy Garland. He can be a brilliant player at times but he often makes poor decisions.

It was entertaining but more than a little creepy to watch Andy Murray defeat Nick Kyrgios last night. Kyrgios is very tightly wound, with more ticks and fidgets than Judy Garland. He can be a brilliant player at times but he often makes poor decisions.

Next he'll be on DWTS.

God, it was hot yesterday. The combination of heat and humidity made it excruciating to do anything but sit in the shade, watch tennis, and drink water.

Security at the Open has now become insane. It took us 30 minutes to get through.

Positives - We got to Ashe stadium nearly at the of The Great White Bird's match. (Azarenka) The war cries filled the stadium.

The other tennis we saw was stellar. The Halep v. Bondarenko match was much closer than the score indicates. Bondarenko really made Halep work. And the Murray v. Mainnaro match was an absolute war. Five sets. Murray lost the first two and then came back to win. I've long admired Djokovic's toughness and willpower but Murray displayed that same level yesterday.

The under construction roof is already reducing the amount of sun hitting the stands. It made a potentially hellish afternoon bearable.

Spicy & Tasty is still good.

Negatives - More and more jerks are showing up at the Open. People who talk constantly during matches. People who bring children who repeatedly kick the occupied seats in front of them. People who consume huge plates of exorbitantly priced food and then fall asleep during matches. And one woman who pulled out a big newspaper and started reading during a match. The person behind her protested that the paper was blocking their view and the Reader folded the paper in half, reducing it's optical footprint. It was a good match but they were bored.

If you go, avoid the "New York Italian Sausage" at all costs. The meat is diced too fine and the resulting sausage is rubbery.

The security lines are absolutely awful and unavoidable. Bring your patience.

Cute article. I've been going since the tournament was in Forest Hills and I've been watching as it has dramatically changed in many, many ways (some great, some not so good). And I'm sure it's been watching me as I've changed as well :blink: (huh?)

At any rate, we never get stadium seats, as the back courts remain the draw for me. Like with many pro sports, I prefer watching the big games on TV, where the view is better, the replays clearer, the a/c is on and the refrigerator is nearby (not to mention the bathroom). We have, as always, grounds passes to tomorrow (Sat) and Sunday's matches & I'll probably spend half of my time (at least) watching doubles from close up (especially when Leander Paes plays), while Ginny and friends sit in the Grandstand watching notable singles. If anyone else is there, say hello… I'm the balding, somewhat pudgy, now more than middle aged guy wearing shorts, sneakers and an old Open hat. Should be easy to spot. :D

One thing was different this year: I buy well in advance and actually get first shot at tkts since I'm a USTA member. Then I get second shot at them when advance Amex tkts go on sale. But this year I was only able to get my Sun tkts on line during the first day of USTA pre-sale at the list price of $84 each ($74 + $10 ticket master charge). The Sat tkts mysteriously were never available and I wound up having to get them on the US Open approved "ticket exchange" (re-sale) site for more $$. Yet another aspect of our modern society that makes me cringe. Oh well.