Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

Genuine Liquorette

This is the new Eben Freeman helmed AvroKO bar, located under Genuine Superette, on the corner of Mulberry and Grand Streets.

A friend and I wanted to check it out last night, but it was a F&F thing going on. We got in anyway, as my friend is a friend, or something like that.

There are a couple of cool concepts going on, including that cha-chunker machine, which Eben "invented," and which opens a can up so that a mini bottle of booze can be upturned into the can. As you drink the can's contents, the liquor drips in, creating your cocktail. (I had a Dark & Stormy, made with Zacapa).

You can grab a bottle of booze off a shelf. It's weighed when you do so, and weighed again when you're done - you pay for the booze by the gram. Then you can pick a modifier, mixer, whatever - and a cocktail will be made for you, or you can make it yourself. Evidently, you can even bartend if you want to.

Three's a lot going on here; it'll be interesting to see how it flies. We had 1 cha-chunker each, and a beer, and got the hell out before it got too crazy.

Grub Street pics are gonna be better than mine, so...

Grub Street

• Like 5

Oh yeah, the drinks were comped last night. Though we tipped as much as the drinks + tip would've been, which I think is the right thing to do at an

F & F bar opening.

This place is great. Stopped in last night after dinner at Yopparai. It was busy, but not quite packed. Eben was behind the stick. My first drink order was a grasshopper. The grasshopper at The Butterfly was amazing, and even though they don't have the same fancy ingredients here (like milk-clarified whatever) it was still pretty goddamn good. Next was an old fashioned - this wasn't quite a traditional old fashioned, he used some other kind of bitters in addition to angostura, but it was great. Last was a bartender's choice, a boozy brown drink served up, but I don't know what was in it. My date also had a couple dark & stormies. Somehow the bill only came to like $40.

Obviously I'm going back. Eben said he'd be there for "a while", and his nights are Tuesday through Friday.

Quick question - we had dinner at Yopparai one night last week (after drinks downstairs, at 151).

Do you think the quality level is maintaining?

I do think the quality at Yopparai is the same. However, I always thought they were a little overrated and overpriced.

Almost forgot - I tried to order a Rusty Nail at Genuine Liquorette, but they don't have Drambuie! They have a pretty nice wall of scotch, though.

Almost forgot - I tried to order a Rusty Nail at Genuine Liquorette, but they don't have Drambuie! They have a pretty nice wall of scotch, though.

For that you need to go to Oleanders.