I attended my first college graduation yesterday.

Our daughter graduated from Kresge College at UCSC, majoring in Psychology (to pursue a Ph.D. in neuroscience). To my utter astonishment: a page in the program had printed that, among the entire college, 12 were Phi Beta Kappa. One was my beloved girl.

She also graduated with university honors and some other honors.

Can some of you scholars tell me the PBK value?? I used to know. I think they used to get a key.

I think this bodes well for getting into her chosen grad school, right? She is one happy young woman. And we (her three parents) are about that happy as well.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

Because of some holiday, the subway is very empty today.

Posted Images

Our daughter graduated from Kresge College at UCSC, majoring in Psychology (to pursue a Ph.D. in neuroscience). To my utter astonishment: a page in the program had printed that, among the entire college, 12 were Phi Beta Kappa. One was my beloved girl.

Can some of you scholars tell me the PBK value?? I used to know. I think they used to get a key.

I think this bodes well for getting into her chosen grad school, right? She is one happy young woman. And we (her three parents) are about that happy as well.

Go Slugs! Congratulations on the fine achievement of said daughter. PBK? I'm guessing she did not use the old pass/fail grading system of UCSC. Oh, I see, no more than 25% of classes are permitted to be p/f for graduation.

Where is she hoping to do the Ph.D? Lots of opportunity up here in Seattle.

Landed a paying gig. At. Fucking. Last. With more stuff in the pipeline.

Bonus: Work from home.

Bigger bonus: It's something I can actually feel good about.

I am thrilled for you, and glad I backed up to find this. :) x 10!

Go Slugs! Congratulations on the fine achievement of said daughter. PBK? I'm guessing she did not use the old pass/fail grading system of UCSC. Oh, I see, no more than 25% of classes are permitted to be p/f for graduation.

Where is she hoping to do the Ph.D? Lots of opportunity up here in Seattle.

UC Berkeley, which makes me happy. Not only is it close to home, but the ethnic restaurants there are so much better than here in Santa Cruz.

And no, she went for grades, flat-out. No cum laude status, but she's very happy about the PBK because of the method in which they are chosen. That meant more to her than straight grades.

Congratulations!

Cheers to you & your daughter, Tana B.

I am not sure that this shouldn't be an Annoyance, but I am trying to put a positive spin on it. The scent of honeysuckle is extremely strong right now, and significantly stronger this year than in the past. It permeates our house. It's almost intense enough to be nauseating. I will keep telling myself that it's a lovely scent & hope for the best.

Congratulations Tana. Lovely, wonderful news. I can't believe 4 years have passed since you talked about her going off to college. Time sure flies.

Thanks, y'all, for the good wishes. We're still just in awe at the achievement and the possibilities.

Other reason to be cheerful: the first padrón pepper came ripe yesterday. We split it three ways. :)

Thanks, y'all, for the good wishes. We're still just in awe at the achievement and the possibilities.

Other reason to be cheerful: the first padrón pepper came ripe yesterday. We split it three ways. :)

I've planted padróns this year after having them at a Mexican restaurant up in Maine – plainly seared in a little oiled with a goodly amount of salt. I'll be asking you fro other recipes, dear.

And belated felicitations over that girlina of yours. PBK, girl. Game on.