Heading up to do a few days filming in Seattle in a couple of weeks, which is reason to be cheerful enough as I really like the city.

Even more RTBC is that I am being housed at The Edgewater Hotel

Anyone who is a Zappa fanatic like me, or a fan of Led Zeppelin will know why I am particularly thrilled. Wonder if you can still fish for Red Snapper from the windows

Slapsie

It's not 80 or 85, but there is a bright shiny yellow orb in the sky, at least today. Bring a coat.

Heading up to do a few days filming in Seattle in a couple of weeks, which is reason to be cheerful enough as I really like the city.

Anyone who is a Zappa fanatic like me, or a fan of Led Zeppelin will know why I am particularly thrilled. Wonder if you can still fish for Red Snapper from the windows

Slapsie

When will you be here? It'd be great to meet you!

yes sir

Slapsie

I fly up on the morning of the 9th and back to LA on the 11th. I am filming out on Bainbridge Island.

I don't know the full schedule yet, I am working on some web episodes for Small Screen Network and am waiting for full details

Would love to meet if my schedule allows

Slapsie

Remembering my Mouthfuls password, logging in, and finding that the members have stuck around and that the discussions here are just as interesting as they always were.

(I could add, "unlike other websites I used to frequent" but that would be mean, wouldn't it?)

Remembering my Mouthfuls password, logging in, and finding that the members have stuck around and that the discussions here are just as interesting as they always were.

(I could add, "unlike other websites I used to frequent" but that would be mean, wouldn't it?)

Hullo! I had to miss my annual trip to DC last year; a pity, I always enjoy myself there.

Slapsie

I fly up on the morning of the 9th and back to LA on the 11th. I am filming out on Bainbridge Island.

I don't know the full schedule yet, I am working on some web episodes for Small Screen Network and am waiting for full details

Would love to meet if my schedule allows

Slapsie

Cool! Let me know your schedule and we'll get something on the books!

Heather! Always great to see you :)

Hi Blondie!

Hullo! I had to miss my annual trip to DC last year; a pity, I always enjoy myself there.

Ghostrider, I just subscribed to your concert blog. I go to many, many shows myself. :)

Now, to try and catch up here... :blink:

SAN FRANCISCO—A federal appeals court here ruled Tuesday that California's voter-mandated ban on gay marriages was unconstitutional, in a closely watched case that eventually could lead the U.S. Supreme Court to decide whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry.

In a 2-1 vote, a panel of the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said California's 2008 law, popularly known as Proposition 8, had used the state's initiative power to target a minority group and take away a right the group possessed, without legitimate reason.

"Proposition 8 serves no purpose, and has no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California, and to officially reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples," wrote Justice Reinhardt, who was appointed to the court by former President Jimmy Carter.

The next step in the legal process will likely be a request for an 11 judge panel of the Ninth Circuit to review this decision. Alternately, the forces of darkness may try to appeal directly to the US Supreme Court.

Proposition 8 defined marriage in the California state constitution as between one man and one woman. One of the most expensive nonbusiness-related ballot initiatives in California's history, it won support from 52% of voters.

The Proposition 8 case, known as the Perry trial after lead plaintiff Kristin M. Perry, was filed by two same-sex couples seeking to marry in California. In 2010, U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker of San Francisco struck down the law, saying it violated the Constitution's guarantees of equal protection and due process.

Related Docum

That decision was appealed by Protectmarriage.com, the group that backed the proposition, after the state of California refused to defend the law.

The panel majority said Tuesday that Proposition 8 falls short because California's existing laws related to domestic partnerships already give gay couples all the same state rights as opposite-sex couples. So in effect, they said, Proposition 8 took away the significant designation of "marriage" while leaving in place all of its legal rights and responsibilities.

In Tuesday's ruling, Judge N.R. Smith, appointed to the court by President George W. Bush, dissented from his colleagues regarding the law's constitutionality. He wrote that he wasn't convinced that there couldn't have been a rational basis for citizens to enact the law, such as promoting responsible procreation and optimal parenting.

He wrote that he wasn't convinced that there couldn't have been a rational basis for citizens to enact the law, such as promoting responsible procreation and optimal parenting.

He's joking, right?

It's kind of a technical point. Under the applicable law, it's okay to discriminate among people in the granting of rights if there's a "legitimate reason." Although I don't agree with the dissenting opinion, I think a reasonable person could believe there are legitimate reasons for making a distinction in this case.

I'm going to be a first time grandmother in July, and today we found out that it's a girl.