• Replies 23.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

Because of some holiday, the subway is very empty today.

Posted Images

The pleasure you and some others get out of "letting air out" speaks volumes about your nature. The most recent Chast cartoon tells this story well. I am glad to have a place to share my cheerfulness that doesn't welcome people looking to put others down to serve their sense of self importance.

That cartoon was pretty funny. Have you seen the Roz Chast show at the Museum of the City of New York? A lot of old favorites. Definitely worth a visit. (They've redone the museum. It's looking pretty spiffy)

Perhaps if you didn't pump the air in first by affecting that comments posted to a website article are "letters"--this from someone who has been involved in online forums at least as long as me, and works in some fashion with the media. "Letters" three times, just like the Bellman of yore.

Twitter has been publishing all my letters too. Looks like I'm in the club at last.

• Like 1

NJ's attorney general has now implemented a requirement that police officers must take annual continuing education in community relations. I had heard something was in the works, but didn't know the details. It makes sense, most other professions require some form of continuing ed to keep their law license, medical ticket, teaching certificate, etc.

The program is a companion to recently implemented rules requiring AG review of all police firearms discharges, domestic violence incidents, etc.. These rules supplant the current patchwork of local police or prosecutors investigating local issues. That hasn't worked well in the past.

The directive acts on a law signed by Gov. Christie in August, requiring the attorney general to design a course “to promote positive interaction by police with all community residents, including those of all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds,” according to a statement issued by Porrino’s office.

The courses will also cover training on police interactions with “lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals,” the statement said.

The announcement was welcomed by the Rev. Gregory Jackson, pastor of Mount Olive Baptist Church in Hackensack.

“I think it’s great,” said Jackson, adding that on Wednesday he had attended a forum on the subject of implicit bias. “I think we all have implicit bias of one kind or another, and it’s good to be aware of that.”

Jackson said he thought the program announced by Porrino would be “helpful, in terms of avoiding violence in police interactions with minority communities.

“It may be expensive, but it’s expensive either way. If this helps to build an atmosphere of trust, it’ll be well worth it,” he said.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/n-j-police-officers-will-now-be-required-to-take-continuing-education-courses-1.1671916