I decided to put something in a shit hole today. Money.

There's a well respected charity called Solar Electric Light Fund which works with local craft people and industry donors like NRG to install solar electric power panels and batteries in remote places of the world. They've completed several solar projects in Haiti, lighting schools, powering wells, putting up street lights in villages, etc. They also work in Honduras, Benin, Guatemala, mostly in very rural locations.

It's a very good feeling.

SELF.org scores an 89 on Charity Navigator, which is pretty good.

• Like 1

Purged and cleaned my pantry. Tossed two compost pails of spices, condiments, flours, oddments that were too good to use. A full recycle basket of jars. Asked myself really tough questions and the answer was frequently "It's not gonna happen." Ancient zaatars. Prehistoric rye flour. Antediluvian rose water. Several kinds of oddball peppercorns. Agonized over vanilla salt (made to use on prawns and lobster), vanilla sugar (where I stashed used vanilla beans but never got around to using the product). Couldn't toss pomegranite molasses since is tasted fine; will try to remember it next time I think about lamb.

Bottom line, you can reach flour, sugar, various rices, Asian sauces, and husband can find his peanut butter and Nutella without doing a major reorg.

Did something similar with the kids' room last Saturday. Amazing how much trash they collect for "art projects". Main challenge is that this can only be done when kids are not there.

Purged and cleaned my pantry. Tossed two compost pails of spices, condiments, flours, oddments that were too good to use. A full recycle basket of jars. Asked myself really tough questions and the answer was frequently "It's not gonna happen." Ancient zaatars. Prehistoric rye flour. Antediluvian rose water. Several kinds of oddball peppercorns. Agonized over vanilla salt (made to use on prawns and lobster), vanilla sugar (where I stashed used vanilla beans but never got around to using the product). Couldn't toss pomegranite molasses since is tasted fine; will try to remember it next time I think about lamb.

Bottom line, you can reach flour, sugar, various rices, Asian sauces, and husband can find his peanut butter and Nutella without doing a major reorg.

Did something similar with the kids' room last Saturday. Amazing how much trash they collect for "art projects". Main challenge is that this can only be done when kids are not there.

Tell me about it. The other day, I was searching for a hat I wanted to wear. Found it eventually. Also found a hatbox full of hats I have not worn in about 30 years. So today I pulled out the ones I never expect to wear again, to give away. Then I found a couple of Paul's hats that he has NEVER, EVER worn since I've known him (47 years). Asked him if he wants to keep them. Um, do I have to answer now? Okay, yes. IIRC, one reason he never wore them was that they didn't fit. So sometime I will just pull them out and add them to the donation bag.

Don't ditch those hats without vetting them with a hat dealer. Early on in our marriage and for a number of years, every Valentines Day I gave husband some version of a classic hat. Of course, they were never worn other than a singular initiation. i took them to Ms. Dewson http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Ruth-Garland-Dewson-dies-beloved-S-F-milliner-4944894.php who bought them all at a very agreeable price. You must have similar shops looking for just what you have collected.

Have finally arranged to have doors, albeit louvered, installed in the doorways to my office. So I can shut myself off when necessary, and block the view in when desired.

Have finally arranged to have doors, albeit louvered, installed in the doorways to my office. So I can shut myself off when necessary, and block the view in when desired.

A room of her own. Enjoy.

Husband at breakfast asked if I'd booked a June trip to Paris and Burgundy,

"Well, no,"

"Why not?"

"I didn't know it was seriously on the docket."

"Better go ahead so you have your choice of rooms."

"Er, sure."

:D :D :D :D :D

One of the books I worked on is a finalist for an IACP cookbook award, in the Literary or Historical Food Writing category: Unforgettable, the biography of Paula Wolfert with recipes.

OTOH, another one that I had hopes for was not a finalist in any category :( , although the photographer received two nominations for other IACP awards.

Bored as only teenagers can be, my daughter and her friends found themselves in Central Park today (winter break). They pondered the Met. How much would admission be?

My daughter explained the "pay what you want" policy and how it works. Her friends were 'like' "How would you even know that?"

She: "Oh, I've been here...a lot."

Gold star for me, yes?

Pricing error at the vegetable place in chelsea market - Ramón Peña mussels in escabeche (the premium version) went for $5.99.

When we had Jax, my son, I bought these fancy pajamas as it was going to be Jan and I pictured hibernating for a couple of months.. Well, it turns out, my fancy pajama top is work ready.. I occasionally will sleep in the top and then wear it directly to work.. Nobody has said anything.. Well, I guess they can't but, still, it makes me happy.