• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

Because of some holiday, the subway is very empty today.

Posted Images

Another RTBC: getting 5 gallons of Meyer lemons for free from someone on Nextdoor, made even better by the fact that I thought I was getting regular lemons.  It may sound like a luxury, but if you have a fruit tree or two here having way more fruit than you could ever use is a common problem.  In San Jose, there are gleaning services that will harvest your extra fruit (including any that grow very high up on the tree) and distribute it to food banks.

2 hours ago, Evelyn said:

My favorite King Cake. I order one from them every year. Mine's coming next week 🥰😊

It's really good.  We had a couple of slices when it came, then put the rest in the freezer because we're currently making our way through another big dessert.

11 hours ago, StephanieL said:

Another RTBC: getting 5 gallons of Meyer lemons for free from someone on Nextdoor, made even better by the fact that I thought I was getting regular lemons.  It may sound like a luxury, but if you have a fruit tree or two here having way more fruit than you could ever use is a common problem.  In San Jose, there are gleaning services that will harvest your extra fruit (including any that grow very high up on the tree) and distribute it to food banks.

Steph, my son's m-i-l sends us two huge cartons of Meyers from Modesto (much better than our SF tree's) every Christmas.   I put them on the back stoop and they keep well into spring.     Before they stat to go wonky, I sometimes run them through a very dilute clorox bath and they carry on.

7 hours ago, voyager said:

Steph, my son's m-i-l sends us two huge cartons of Meyers from Modesto (much better than our SF tree's) every Christmas.   I put them on the back stoop and they keep well into spring.     Before they stat to go wonky, I sometimes run them through a very dilute clorox bath and they carry on.

Oh good--this means the ones we didn't turn into canned lemon juice yesterday will do just fine in the garage, especially once it starts to cool down later this week.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally finished crocheting the poncho I started in 2012 on the eve of Superstorm Sandy. To be fair, I finished the crochet part over a year ago but finally sewed the damn thing and wove in the ends last night.

Finally got electricity restored after 103 hours down here in Austin. House stayed at 50 degrees until late yesterday, then @48. Tankless water heater on south exterior wall busted Tuesday when sun came out for a bit, but I managed to cut off the water input pipe so I had water to rest of house. Bundled up in wool and down under a couple of afghans with 2 pairs of gloves with one fingertip cut out so I could work phone for texts & updates on power & water. Had pulled 10 gallons of water day before they sent the boil water notice. Small house so the walking circuit inside took 65 steps to complete. Even more boring than a treadmill or bike.

Thank heavens for a dual-fuel range so I could heat food and water for tea. Ate mostly out of pantry-RG beans with rice, cheese, and salsa. Fridge never got higher than 50 and freezer stayed at 32, so no food lost. No meat. Milk & yogurt stayed @38 in cooler on porch. Still under boil notice. I was very fortunate in so many ways. Bet the generator manufacturers are licking their lips - lot of orders coming from fed-up Texans. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, memesuze said:

Finally got electricity restored after 103 hours down here in Austin. House stayed at 50 degrees until late yesterday, then @48. Tankless water heater on south exterior wall busted Tuesday when sun came out for a bit, but I managed to cut off the water input pipe so I had water to rest of house. Bundled up in wool and down under a couple of afghans with 2 pairs of gloves with one fingertip cut out so I could work phone for texts & updates on power & water. Had pulled 10 gallons of water day before they sent the boil water notice. Small house so the walking circuit inside took 65 steps to complete. Even more boring than a treadmill or bike.

Thank heavens for a dual-fuel range so I could heat food and water for tea. Ate mostly out of pantry-RG beans with rice, cheese, and salsa. Fridge never got higher than 50 and freezer stayed at 32, so no food lost. No meat. Milk & yogurt stayed @38 in cooler on porch. Still under boil notice. I was very fortunate in so many ways. Bet the generator manufacturers are licking their lips - lot of orders coming from fed-up Texans. 

Just seemed as though it was 103 hours - only 79 - still under boil notice, house seems downright toasty at 68

It was a very interesting experience - showed  me how close we are to very primitive conditions, as well as how reliant we are on the infrastructure. We are just a hack away from disaster. As I washed my hair under the kitchen faucet with bracingly cold water, I thought of Franklin's lost Arctic expedition, Shackleton's Antarctic adventure, Americans westward-ho-ing and everyone else who didn't have our comfortable lives. 

Plumber coming Sunday or Monday to see if heater can be repaired. If replacement is required, I have one on order via Amazon. Wasn't willing to see if distribution centers & plumbing supply houses had enough in stock to handle everyone needing replacement. 

Some of the cities here in the Bay Area are now mandating all-electric kitchens and heating systems in new apartment building construction (don't know about single-family homes).  Sounds like a disaster in the making if we get more wildfires that knock out the electric grid.  I'm grateful for my gas furnace and water heater, and I'm never giving up a gas range.

1 hour ago, StephanieL said:

Some of the cities here in the Bay Area are now mandating all-electric kitchens and heating systems in new apartment building construction (don't know about single-family homes).  Sounds like a disaster in the making if we get more wildfires that knock out the electric grid.  I'm grateful for my gas furnace and water heater, and I'm never giving up a gas range.

I frequently revisit in memory an electric outage in the country.    Our neighbors, all of whom had electric kitchens, one by one, two by two, trudged up the hill for coffee and impromptu breakfast since we were on propane.